Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You know you are a true quilter when.... >

You know you are a true quilter when....

You know you are a true quilter when....

Old 03-28-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltbeagle
...when you look at your 2 year old's snow suit (as she's wearing it no less!) and realize suddenly that the color is the PERFECT match for that pink fabric that you can't find ANYWHERE...the fabric you were shorted in the Broken Star quilt kit...the kit that was too old to get replacement fabric for...and...well...come on now, guys! Winter was about over and she was outgrowing the suit anyway and who needs snow suits anymore because we were moving back to Florida...and I only needed enough for ONE diamond to finish the quilt... Well, I did it, LOL...and I was right. It was a perfect match!
Could you have appliqued a bunny over the hole? and kept going?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by redmadder
Oh my Gosh! I am guilty of everyone of these, didn't know there were so many others. My husband's friend was wearing a shirt that was so irresistable, I asked him for it. He gave it to me the next day. I made him a quilt for his new baby. Never got the shirt off a stranger's back, it could happen!
That reminds me - i used to live in a large multiple apartment senior residence. One day I spotted a beautiful swirly turquoise printed sheet in one of the dryers. I hunted down the owner, and told him this:
"I am going to steal your sheet!" and he said: "Why?"
and I said: "It is the exact match that I need for the back of my 3d bowtie quilt top!" "Wait a minute!" and I marched upstairs and got the top, and like a bullfighter swirled the top open across his lap! He was a good christian man, but what he said was - In complete amazement "Well I'll be d...../ded!"
Of course he gave me the sheet, and he was so proud about it and bragged about it so much, I got tired of going and getting it and showing it off, that I gave it to my nephew who was in the Coast Guard in Alaska for a wedding present!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
You know your a quilter when perfect strangers walk up to you and ask if your a quilter. Then when they walk away you realize you have thread from the fabric all over the front of your shirt.
Oh my gosh......it seems like I always have threads hanging from all my clothes everywhere I go.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:11 PM

when you go to Church and realize you didn't hear the preacher because you had drifted off while sketching the stain glass window of Michael slaying the dragon, and all the other carvings, the Omega and Alpha symbols, the little lambs, all the while designing a quilt of The Savior...

Looking at restroom tiles in stores, resturants, etc... you're hooked!!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:17 PM

Finding inspiration in the most unlikely of places: When I went to see Saw 3 in the theater there was a flashback scene of the main character sitting on his son's bed (who had passed away). The first thing I noticed was the brick quilt on the bed in various blues and thought a denim version would be fantastic. Video games are also a major quilting inspiration. (...actually, thought of a game just now---Bayonetta---and remembered the main character's clothing color scheme and thought "That could work in a quilt". No joke.)

Checking literally any quilt out: Whenever I go someplace and they have a quilt up on display I go up to it to check it out. Last one was in a hospital and they had a quilt with a black background with neon colored compasses.

Looking at a store bought quilt and thinking you can do that and make it better: You have no idea how many times I pass by the bed and bath section at work and think I could make that myself...and I'm not even talking about the ones with the faux pieced quilt look.

Being able to name any quilt pattern without thinking: My boyfriend took me to a quilt shop I never been to and was able to tell him the names of each quilt they had showing.

Explaining quilt terms to your boyfriend: At same quilt shop I explained to him with a passion what "jellyrolls" and "fat quarters" were.

When asked what you want for your birthday you say you want to shop at a quilt shop: Which is why me and my boyfriend were there in the first place.

I won't get around to doing my taxes, but I will literally spend hours looking for fabrics I need for a project on the Internet: no joke.

When you're working on something non-quilting related it somehow has quilting involved in it: I've been doing my seed starting project. Instead of setting up in the closet like last year I bought a small wire shelf to put my plants on. Problem was I had disposable baking pans to put my plants into (they were cheap) and they would make this ungodly sound when I'd put them on the metal rack. Like clashing cymbals together. My solution was putting batting on top of each shelf to absorb the noise. Also have been using my ruler to help me make different widths of newspaper for my plant pots and seed tape.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:54 PM

I loved this one! My DH bought me a lint brush just so I won't leave the house with thread all over me!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 PM

You set the alarm to get up at 4.30am to bid on fabric on eBay that you just have to have.
I've done this and yes I won it. Still haven't sewn it but I have it.
Does that make me a quilter or a madwoman. A quilter - I have assurances from my shrink that i"m not mad.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
You know you are to cut 2 inch squares for a quilt and you, without thinking, automatically cut 2 and 1/2 inches.

What do you do without thinking that makes you know you are a quilter?
Every where I see a pattern I think a quilt block or full quilt. I never have anything to take pics of it at the time either.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:33 AM

As a young quilter I was told, the time spent hand quilting your quilt gives you time to plan your next quilt.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:34 AM

Yes, quilting is addictive but less expensive than psychotherapy. ;)