Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making Money Quilting >

Making Money Quilting

Making Money Quilting

Old 09-26-2007, 07:08 PM

jmras...the 3X's rule works for you; I wonder if it has to do with the area one lives in. I am beginning to think that maybe its where we sell. Less rural areas would probably be easier to get a more profitable price perhaps. Would choosing shows, sales, fairs etc. in larger areas be more advantages than the small towns (like here we have a pop. of 1900) where we normally set up? Our thought thus far is that folks from larger cities come to these smaller towns for the quaint, nostalgic type fairs.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:22 PM

this isn't on the subject of making money re quilting -- those two little ones are adorable. Oh, and I agree on the urbanites travelling to smaller places for the "real deal".
Old 09-26-2007, 07:39 PM

Thank you Safta, they're my surprise babies LOL. They are two of my favorite people to sew for :D .
Old 09-27-2007, 12:51 PM

I like to finish quilts for people who have inherited quilts started by grandparents, parents, etc. In fact, this is what had me enroll in my first quilt class. I always show my finished product to all my friends and neighbors and sometimes get one or two custom orders for something similar. Likewise with gifts. I show the baby quilt to everyone and then see if anyone asks me about making them a quilt!

I charged $65 for finishing a queen quilt. I finished the quilting and added a binding.

I charge $125 to $150 for 45 to 57" quilts. Machine quilted.

My charity receives $225 for bed size quilts...I learned not to use extremely expensive fabrics for these.

I have a friend who charges $50 to hand quilt twin size quilts.

Hope this pricing info helps.

I have decided multiple smaller projects would probably bring more money for charity events... such as wall hangings, quilted purses, etc.

I do not have enough goods for a business web site and it is my understanding that free web sites do not allow selling. Am I correct?

Old 09-27-2007, 07:23 PM

Websites are not necessarily expensive. You can buy a domain name for $10 and your server space for about $60 per year. It would be good to register the domain name you want even if you aren't ready to get a website up, so no one else takes it!

Did you really mean to write that your friend charges $50 to hand quilt a twin sized bed quilt??? OUCH! I charge $10 per hour. Not many people are willing to pay it. I did one queen sized quilt and I kept warning the woman that the highly complex design she wanted would be expensive, but she paid the final bill of $1150 without blinking. This would be a good time to mention marketing and credentials and references. ...

I don't have a lot of time right now, but let me just say that it's good to offer written testimonials. I have some on my website. Also, have good clear pictures of samples of your work if you are selling online. The woman above was willing to pay me for quilting because I came highly recommended by the owner of our local quilt store. It helps to have connections. Leave your business cards (you can make them on your computer or buy them cheap through vistaprint.com) everywhere! I also have a list of prizes/awards I have won. It's not a long list, and they weren't prestigious or national awards, but it looks good to someone who is shopping for a quilter.

There really is a market out there. You just have to advertise and market yourself. You are GOOD!

oh, and someone mentioned that $10 per hour wasn't enough. You know, it seems like a lot of money to me, but everyone has to establish their own comfort level with how much money they make. Don't undersell yourself!

Sometimes I list a quilt on ebay and it doesn't sell. I have relisted it at a HIGHER price and sold it!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:58 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am very new at this, so bear with me. I have been working on a web site that sells embroidered quilt squares, www.CleverEmbroidery.com. My husband is a software engineer so I have him working at it. He says it is his second full time job. The site seems to get hits, but there are no customers, either buying or logging on. I would appreciate any advice.

The prices look kind of high, but I try to price them by stitches.

Thank you for any help :)

Cheryl

Old 09-27-2007, 08:01 PM

Congrats on your site. I'm sure now that you've advertised on here for us, we will all be checking out. Thanks again, I'm checking it out now. :)
Old 09-27-2007, 08:03 PM

I meant to mention that i love embroidered items, I don't have an embroidery machine yet...maybe in the next few years. Right now, I have to spend quite a bit of money on college, books, tests etc. so just as soon as that is over, I'm sure I'll get one.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:23 PM

Thank you :mrgreen:

I can't wait to hear what everyone thinks about it.

Cheryl

Old 09-27-2007, 10:47 PM

I like your website and I think your prices are reasonable. I will share your site with friends.