Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Antique Quilt Piece >

Antique Quilt Piece

Antique Quilt Piece

Old 03-29-2011, 08:32 AM

Ann Marie, you are so lucky to have such a wonderful quilt piece and that gorgeous wedding dress. Have you visited any on-line quilt shops that specialize in the Civil War era fabrics to see if they have any reproductions similiar to the prints in your quilt piece? A shadow box would be a great idea along with a short history of where & how you found the piece attached to the back or side of the box, depending on how deep you make it. Does anyone in your family have old photograph albums that might have a picture of the piece of furniture the quilt was found in, or of the person who made the furniture that you could make a copy from to place in the box (as long as you hung it away from direct light) & please don't cover up any of the fabric since it is of historical value to fabric historians. You're a very lucky lady to have 2 such special pieces of family history.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ann Marie O
Originally Posted by Murphy
If you have a university close they would have a clothing and textile dept. that would be able to help date it. What a great find.
I didn't know that University's would do that (or could do that). I also have an antique wedding dress that has been in my family for years and while we figure it is about 120-140 years old, we really don't know. I would love to find out more about it and it's age.
or try your local historical society they might help too and guide you to the right people
Old 03-29-2011, 09:02 AM

oh definately put in a showdow box with more pieces of your family , will be beautiful hanging on the wall .
Old 03-29-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Karenn
Ann Marie, you are so lucky to have such a wonderful quilt piece and that gorgeous wedding dress. Have you visited any on-line quilt shops that specialize in the Civil War era fabrics to see if they have any reproductions similiar to the prints in your quilt piece? A shadow box would be a great idea along with a short history of where & how you found the piece attached to the back or side of the box, depending on how deep you make it. Does anyone in your family have old photograph albums that might have a picture of the piece of furniture the quilt was found in, or of the person who made the furniture that you could make a copy from to place in the box (as long as you hung it away from direct light) & please don't cover up any of the fabric since it is of historical value to fabric historians. You're a very lucky lady to have 2 such special pieces of family history.
I have the piece of furniture that the piece of quilt was found in and I have photos of the man and woman who the furniture was made for (but not who made it). The settee was actually made "in payment" for a debt owed to my great grandfather - there were also 3 chairs to go with it - I have one chair but have not had it refinished. here are photos of the settee - before and after.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-177054.jpe
Views:	52
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	177060  
Old 03-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ann Marie O
I had an old settee refinished/reupholstered last summer and in the process, we found this old piece of quilted material used in the stuffing. I know the settee was built for my great grandfather around 1900-1910 so this quilt had to be old at that time. The man who did my settee felt the quilt was probably from the Civil War days. My question is "What do I do with it?" I am looking for suggestions. I had thought of using it as a mat an old picture frame and putting our family tree centered on it but the frames are too shallow and don't leave any air space between the quilt and glass, so decided not to do that. I think the only thing I could do is use a shadow box type of display with something in front of it. Although the quilt is in bad shape, it is amazing how bright some of the fabrics still are. What do you think?
VERY INTERESTING - The little piece in the center looks like from the same "family" as a part of a piece of material in the upper right area of the 2nd pic - it is white w/a dark (black?) "greek" type design in it????

I think I might take it to a frame maker & get suggestions - possibly a box type w/a place for the story of the piece on it & a few other "old" small pieces you might have inherited from that side of the family placed in the bottom???

Anyway would love to see the finished product when you decide - I'm sure it will be an outstanding treasure for you.

I also LOVE the way you had the setee finished - looks so appropriate. What a wonderful inheritance. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 03-29-2011, 03:57 PM

I would arrange it in a shadow box with some momentos of your great-grandfather's if you have any such as an old pair of wire rim glasses, maybe a pocket watch, Pictures, etc.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:38 PM

After you've developed whatever history you can on it, it would be worth a custom frame where it could "breathe" via proper backing and UV glass, etc. with some room so it's not really touching the glass (archival paper spacers, etc.).

You might consider placing a well-written brief history of the piece itself and proudly display it with all its imperfections which are its character.

As to the black and white piece, it looks like a stitch tension example from way, way back when. Might have been from a sewing machine ad/sample, feedsack, etc. In fact, you might find that the small piece has the best history of all.

Whatever you do, protect it until you can display it and then keep it near the settee.

Beautiful. Absolutely exquisite!
Old 03-29-2011, 05:19 PM

What a great find. Fascinating! An art store could probably give you some ideas regarding putting things behind a frame.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by lileth1374
First, I would contact your local university to see if they could date it. Then, I would go from there. That small black and white patch may mean the quilt is of some historical importance. You never know.
GREAT IDEA :-D
Old 03-29-2011, 07:12 PM

talk about an original scrappy, you can't get any more original than that. Great find. Use the shadow box.