Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Photos - Block #9 >

Affairs of the Heart Photos - Block #9

Affairs of the Heart Photos - Block #9

Old 03-29-2011, 06:54 AM

I hope these Pic's help. I made a clipboard that I bought at wal-mart and I put sand paper on top It is a clipboard that you can open for storage and I put the square on top then the traced pattern then place the pieces underneath the traced pattern to line them up and pin them down and then stich them down just like she does in the video I don't use a hoop for the embroidery I bought the razzle dazzle thread but I found I really don't like the look of it so I went to local cross stitch store and bought siver thread called Treasure Braid for very fine work It is esay to work with. It is mfg in Ca.
7412 fulton Ave #5 N. Hollywoood Ca maybe you could get it there The Razzle Dazzle was to thick to work through the fabric for me I find this thread alot better to work with It slides through the fabric very easy. Hope this helps you
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-176987.jpe
Views:	112
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	176993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-176988.jpe
Views:	107
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	176994  
Old 03-29-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by luvmortherest
i guess it will be a bit for the firsst pic. Lesley is probably asleep.
lol
LOL, Yes, I was asleep, but here is a pic of block 9 to give you an idea what is possible. I am using Kona black cotton background and I washed beforehand, though I didn't see any colour in the machine. I also washed my batiks I intend to use. I put 4 colour catchers in the machine with them, and they came out a murky brown/grey, so please be warned.

I will be doing my blocks by hand, using the needle turn method, and I aim to take pics of my blocks as I go along, to give you an idea of how I am making them. The machine people might also get something out of it, even if it is only the order in which I do mine.

I will also be cutting away fabric from behind my appliques, to keep down the weight, and also the number of layers - they can build up quite a bit in some places, so I will be showing the backs, as well as the fronts as we go along. I think it's too soon to do that now, so I will just show you the front of the first block.
That is beautiful!!! I love it!!
Old 03-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

Lynnie, I like your clipboard and all that cool storage! I agree with you- the Razzle Dazzle is very thick to work with by hand.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:35 AM

Lynnie, your blocks are beautiful!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:14 PM

Just logging in this topic to get notifications
Old 03-30-2011, 06:58 PM

i log in every day and still don't get notifications :-(
Old 03-30-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ducky
Lynnie, your blocks are beautiful!
Thank You, but now I am stuck on block#14. I am doing the smaller blocks and can't get the little scrolly things. I guess my brain isn't working I have tried all day but have no idea how to attempt to make them they are so small that I can't seem to turn them under and get the little round thing to come out right Help Please!!!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:53 PM

I have just cut out this block but in the 10" size Lynnie. Try using freezer paper, after you have cut out the shape using the paper what I do is finger press around the edge of the shape. Now I flip the freezer paper over so that the sticky side is up. Now I iron all around the area I finger pressed. it fiddly but it works. Now put that piece on your fabric where it is marked and sew in place. on the back of your material make a slit at the back an cut it out sew you donīt have a build up of material. now just take out your paper shape. Works for me. Hope that helps
Old 03-31-2011, 08:00 AM

I just received my book, so while waiting for the DVD on embroidery, I thought I would take a stab (and I do mean stab) at the "stem" stitch. I think I need a longer needle, less thread, consistent size stitches and definitely how to change directions and start. Should have taken the thread to the back to finish I think.

Once I feel comfortable with this, then I can start putting some batiks together. I need to go to Joann's and get some dark for the background and some needles.

Any suggestions are very welcome..................

First try at the "stem" stitch!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]177778[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-177772.jpe
Views:	50
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	177778  
Old 03-31-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by BATIKQLTR
I just received my book, so while waiting for the DVD on embroidery, I thought I would take a stab (and I do mean stab) at the "stem" stitch. I think I need a longer needle, less thread, consistent size stitches and definitely how to change directions and start. Should have taken the thread to the back to finish I think.

Once I feel comfortable with this, then I can start putting some batiks together. I need to go to Joann's and get some dark for the background and some needles.

Any suggestions are very welcome..................
Linda, I don't think that looks bad at all, especially for a very first attempt. Needles are really interesting things. For applique, I like a longer needle that's not too thick. For the embroidery, I like a little shorter needle with a larger eye (I am using 3 strands of floss for the red on my blocks. I wanted it a little thicker than I was getting with 2 strands.) Once you do it for a bit, you will notice your stitches evening out. I take a peek at the back of mine to see how even my stitches are once in awhile. I'm sure someone with a lot more expertise than I have will be along soon with some more suggestions for you. Hang in there, you're doing great.