Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much fabric do you really have??? >

How much fabric do you really have???

How much fabric do you really have???

Old 03-29-2011, 03:43 PM

I don't have anywhere near that amount but I actually have 2 stashes now. One that I packed up when we moved in with my son for a bit and the one that I bought since moving in here (mostly from this board!!!!!) because I was going crazy not being able to quilt when I lost my job. I couldn't find the boxes with my fabric but I found my machine so I just bought more. Today I probably bought close to 50 yards more fabric. My kids are going to think I am crazy when the packages all start coming in but wait til they see what I am going to make with it all. Thousands of Bolts had Stonehenge fabrics on sale and I bought lots. Please sell some of yours here.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:56 PM

I do not have a single kit in my collection. I don't like to work from them. I like to changes things up a bit.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:01 PM

Wow!!I'm going to tell my family about you-you make me look conservative. What I love about fabric is that before it is cut or sewn it has limitless possibilities that you can dream about; once it is cut you are limited. I have been sewing for 56 years and quilting for 4--one of the things I like about quilting is that I can use small scraps. I used to buy fabric 5 yds at a time so I could make anything I wanted but now I buy lots of fat quarters and 1 yd pieces.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:32 PM

WOW! I cant even think about spending my whole income tax chack on fabric! I have so much now,( not 3000 yards, lol) I just buy a little here & there & sometimes I feel guilty then!
Old 03-29-2011, 05:04 PM

When I say kits, I usually start with fabric that I can't pass up. After finding a focus fabric, I try to find matching pieces or as close to the color of a contrasting color. I usually have an idea in mind when I start putting together the kits. Although, I must admit, Chocolat and Poetry collections, I kept buying whenever I saw it on sale. I lost my job about 2 years ago so my fabric buying has been cut down to necessity. But I really don't need any. I find good buys, put colors together and make my own quilts. Right now I'm working on quilting a queen size top (graduation present), I have to make 3 baby blankets (1 due in May, June and July) and I've been asked to make 2 more baby blankets and a larger quilt when I have the time. I don't know how I had time to do it all when I was working. Right now, quilting is keeping me sane. Most of my kits have been put together by me. They are not pre-purchased kits. Most of the time, I like my selection of fabric better than what I can find out there. It will be awhile before I put anything on here. There is so much to read out there, that one of the things that I didn't read were the requirements to be able to sale anything on here. So it will be a while before I do. But that's ok, I need to clean up my quilt room to see what I can part with. Heaven knows it deserves a good home. LOL
Old 03-29-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by clynns
When I say kits, I usually start with fabric that I can't pass up. After finding a focus fabric, I try to find matching pieces or as close to the color of a contrasting color. I usually have an idea in mind when I start putting together the kits. Although, I must admit, Chocolat and Poetry collections, I kept buying whenever I saw it on sale. I lost my job about 2 years ago so my fabric buying has been cut down to necessity. But I really don't need any. I find good buys, put colors together and make my own quilts. Right now I'm working on quilting a queen size top (graduation present), I have to make 3 baby blankets (1 due in May, June and July) and I've been asked to make 2 more baby blankets and a larger quilt when I have the time. I don't know how I had time to do it all when I was working. Right now, quilting is keeping me sane. Most of my kits have been put together by me. They are not pre-purchased kits. Most of the time, I like my selection of fabric better than what I can find out there. It will be awhile before I put anything on here. There is so much to read out there, that one of the things that I didn't read were the requirements to be able to sale anything on here. So it will be a while before I do. But that's ok, I need to clean up my quilt room to see what I can part with. Heaven knows it deserves a good home. LOL
I have many many yards of fabric also. My husband encourages me to buy what I like and need. I recently saw an add in our local paper for fabric for sale. The sale said 7.00 a yard. I called the lady and ask what she would take for all she had and she told me 2000. I told her I would like to look at it and did today. I bought several yards at 4.00 a yard. Nearly all of it was Moda and she had it stored in containers. It was clean and stored together with other fabrics of the same line. I feel like I really hit the jack pot. Now I need to get busy and get it sewed or find a place to store it. May be I should rent a spot in the same storage she had it stored in lol.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:20 PM

I have many many yards of fabric also. My husband encourages me to buy what I like and need. I recently saw an add in our local paper for fabric for sale. The sale said 7.00 a yard. I called the lady and ask what she would take for all she had and she told me 2000. I told her I would like to look at it and did today. I bought several yards at 4.00 a yard. Nearly all of it was Moda and she had it stored in containers. It was clean and stored together with other fabrics of the same line. I feel like I really hit the jack pot. Now I need to get busy and get it sewed or find a place to store it. May be I should rent a spot in the same storage she had it stored in lol.[/quote]

I'm so glad that I don't live in Utah. I don't know what I'd do if I was close enough to go to that sale. And yes, Moda is my favorite! Lucky you!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 PM

I have never really counted my yardage but I have been collecting fabric for more than forty years. Even when I was a teenager, I was spending my babysitting money on fabric. I do know that four yards of fabric weighs about one pound. I also know that my puple bin of fabric weighs almost 60 pounds which means that I must have more than 200 yards of fabric in there. I also know that I have a bin of every colour that is almost as heavy. There are ten coloured bins plus a bin of black and cream/white. That means I have over 2000 yards and I haven't even counted my novelties, batiks, thirties or solids. Yes I have a lot of fabric that I am enjoying and using every day to make many quilts. I don't feel guilty about my fabric collection and will give it all away when I can no longer use it or decide to quit stitching! (My daughter says when that happens, we'll be planning my funeral.)
Old 03-30-2011, 02:46 AM

I confess to also have appx 25 large plastic bins of fabric plus some I haven't packed up yet. I am moving. Funny how quickly that fabric accumulates. Enjoy your stash.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:08 AM

After seeing two different estates with tons of fabric, it scared me straight. I clean out my stash yearly for the auction at our guild, and I work with teenagers that go thru my stash reguarly. It does give me free license at that point to purchase for current projects. Plus our taste seems to change over time.