Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't like to spray baste...how about anyone else?? >

I don't like to spray baste...how about anyone else??

I don't like to spray baste...how about anyone else??

Old 03-30-2011, 04:36 AM

I do not like the spray. I just bought one of those gun tacker thingys. Hope it works well.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:37 AM

I have been basting my quilts using small pieces of Misty Fuse, it has been great. No smell, no pins, and it is so soft that you don't even feel it in the quilt. There is a tute here http://quiltcetera.wordpress.com/2010/04/20/705/ that I used to get started but I use MUCH less misty fuse, just small squares. I buy the Misty Fuse in a 10 yd pack on Ebay which makes it more affordable. I have used this for up to a queen size quilt and no problems or complaints. I LOVE doing FMQ without the pins in the way.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:43 AM

Ladies Jo Ann fabrics has 505 basting spray for $11.49 for a large can. online.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:26 AM

I wouldn't use anything else and I do have a proper breathing mask with filters that i wear when I am doing it.
I'm doing a small one at the moment that I intend to frame and I used vleisofix instead of spray. it worked really well and is not too stiff for the free motion embroidery I am doing on it.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:48 AM

I have commented on spray basting before and will every time the subject comes up. We all have a given amount of lung tissue, when that becomes scared, it no longer works to get oxygen into your blood. You can operate on decreasing amounts of lung tissue and not even know you are losing it. There are so many environmental hazards over which we do not have control, that not to eliminate as many as we can may not be a wise choice.

I have an autoimmune lung disease which robbed me of 60% of my lungs. I can still lead a fairly "normal " life with the 40% I have left, but I need to use supplemental oxygen most of the time.

I do not know the advantages or disadvantages of spray basting but I will not take the risk of finding out.

Ask yourself, how many times have we been told a product is safe only to find out after it is too late that the experts were wrong?

Happy quilting and may all you "lungers" have a good breathing day. :)
Old 03-30-2011, 06:21 AM

I have spray basted small projects, where just a squirt will do. But I don't think I would like a big project.

I say use what method works for you. There are no hard fast rules.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:23 AM

I really don't like to spray baste it gives me a headache. So I no longer even try to do it. Pack to the floor and the pins after a few trys.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:35 AM

I'm just curious as to how many of you that don't like the spray baste use hair spray or any of the other spray's for the kitchen or cleaning?

I use the 505 and have for a long time... especially when I was doing alot of machine embroidery and now with quilts.

It is great with quilting, much better than pinning and why quilt twice with thread basting? Of course these are my thought's on it only. The little "basting gun's" I don't like at all... had one and threw it away, to me a totally waste of money.

You can use a mask and/or use a large room or outdoors to use the spray.

But, I am like the other poster ... glad we can all have a choice. We are a lucky bunch of quilter's....!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:42 AM

I’ve used spray baste in the past and it worked well for me, even on big quilts. Then like you I’ve become hesitant because of the chemicals/fumes. Here is a video about basting with boards. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
Old 03-30-2011, 06:42 AM

I don't like it either. I always find the back is very wrinkled no matter how careful I am . I always pin baste and if hand quilting (- only done once and haven't started the hand quilting yet so it does not sound that great) I thread tack.