Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't like to spray baste...how about anyone else?? >

I don't like to spray baste...how about anyone else??

I don't like to spray baste...how about anyone else??

Old 03-30-2011, 06:57 AM

I have spray basted my last 10 quilts I think, from twin to full size, and as long as the backing is taut, I have never had a problem with wrinkles. You do have to be careful about overspray, and the batting will pucker if you are not careful in placing it on the backing. I have had some quilts sit for over a year before I actually machine quilted them and the spray held with all my pushing and shoving and rumpling to get it under the neck of my home sewing machine. In the winter, it can get stinky, so I try to baste all my quilts in the garage when the weather is comfortable, and then quilt them over the winter. I would never pin or thread baste again.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:12 AM

I don't try to spray the whole quilt, just sort of spot spray and then iron the layers. I recently saw "Nancy" use small pieces of double sided "steam a seam" from a roll (1/4" or 1/2" w) on a small project, so thought I would try that application sometime.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:39 AM

I do not like using the spray baste either. It stinks badly, not good for our lungs but oh does it work well! Wish I could just pin baste but it doesn't work well for me.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:43 AM

I hung my batting outside on my clothesline to spray it, one side at a time. My clothesline is in a covered breezeway, so even in Oregon, I stayed dry. There was no smell, and no mess. And no fire! You just have to be creative. If I need to do a larger quilt, I'll ask my DH to hang a line in the rafters of our garage. I can open the doors and windows. So much easier than pinning or basting.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:45 AM

It's not even just a matter of it NOT being good for one's health. ( and make no mistake, anything that leaves a residue on your floor is also leaving that same crap in your lungs) .Aerosols are also bad for the environment.But I guess it's just ingrained in our culture that it's more important to take a short cut than be socially responsible.That makes me sad.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:50 AM

I am with those who pin. I pin with thin silk pins and use pinmoors.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:04 AM

I do spray baste. Love it now that I have the Hoop Shields. I use Sulky KK2000 Spray. The new green spray. It only takes a small amount of spray. The shields make embroidery on top of the hoops easy for those hard to hoop fabrics like towels and sateen or for craft projects.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:09 AM

I agree completely. :(

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
It's not even just a matter of it NOT being good for one's health. ( and make no mistake, anything that leaves a residue on your floor is also leaving that same crap in your lungs) .Aerosols are also bad for the environment.But I guess it's just ingrained in our culture that it's more important to take a short cut than be socially responsible.That makes me sad.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 AM

I pin. The smell gives me a headache and then I can't sew and then I'm grouchy!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 AM

Since I don't have an area big enough to lay anything out, I have to use the public library community room. Spray basting is not allowed there. I am so used to stripping and paint fumes the basting fumes only add to the existing fummery in my house. BUT, I can see, where if someone has asthma or other breathing issues, spray basting would be a no-no for them. Golly gee-whiz, it works so well! When I am stripping furniture or wood moulding in my house, I use a face masks that have extra layers of insulation. More spendy than just a plain old painters mask, but higher in fume protection. Now excuse me while I straighten up my lipstick and get rid of that 5 o'clock shadow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-177355.jpe
Views:	95
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	177361