Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-30-2011, 11:57 AM

I found a 1957 brown and tan 301 in a cabinet that grandma used for $175. Is this a fair price?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
Does anyone have an Elna Grasshopper...I just purchased one this morning complete with case that turns into a sewing table with original paper work and booklets...I found it on Esty for 85 in mint condition and did research that it's like a Featherweight in weight made by the Swiss. Then found one on ebay that was already up to 150 with two days to go...So on impulse I bought it on Esty...Hope I made the right decision...
Hmmmm...if it is like my Elna it is definitely not like a Feather Weight in weight. It is a wonderful machine and I think you got a steal. Enjoy! Does she look like mine? I think she sews nicer then my Singer 301 which is a favorite at my home.

Oh mine fit the attachments/feet I bought for quilting on my vintage singer 15-91. This is a definite plus.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-177429.jpe
Views:	311
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	177435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-177430.jpe
Views:	306
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	177436  
Old 03-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
I found a 1957 brown and tan 301 in a cabinet that grandma used for $175. Is this a fair price?
It seems on the high end but then they have been going up. If the cabinet is in mint shape and the machine is too I think it is a good deal. I like the Singer 301. Does it have the stool?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Does anyone have an Elna Grasshopper...I just purchased one this morning complete with case that turns into a sewing table with original paper work and booklets...I found it on Esty for 85 in mint condition and did research that it's like a Featherweight in weight made by the Swiss. Then found one on ebay that was already up to 150 with two days to go...So on impulse I bought it on Esty...Hope I made the right decision...
Hmmmm...if it is like my Elna it is definitely not like a Feather Weight in weight. It is a wonderful machine and I think you got a steal. Enjoy! Does she look like mine? I think she sews nicer then my Singer 301 which is a favorite at my home.

Oh mine fit the attachments/feet I bought for quilting on my vintage singer 15-91. This is a definite plus.
Mine looks to be smaller and more squared...in a bright green aka grasshopper..But happy to hear you say you love the way it sews...I also just found a 301 which I posted a few pgs back and haven't sewn on it yet...in for some tune ups...
Old 03-30-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by MarieM
Hi folks, I made it to the thrift store yesterday and test drove both the Singer 301 and Necchi Alco 400 (not really vintage in my book). I told the owner I'd thread both machines, adjust the tension and make sure they both ran. The singer had some electrical issues and seemed a little sluggish, so I opted to leave that one at the store. The Necchi, that I wasn't really interested in was like a work horse. It was quiet, smooth, kinda like driving a luxury car, so I brought that one home. All that to get to the question: I want to get some cams for it, I've looked on E-Bay the sellers for the ones listed don't know which machine they are for. Are the cams for the Necchi interchangeable or are the specific to each model? I'd appreciate any information. Thanks in advance.
Marie M.
I can't print the URL to this site (for some reason, it won't let me), but if you'll go to the vintagejapansewingmachines site on Yahoo groups and check out message 3495, it will give you some info on these machines.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/for/2293752305.html

I think this is high but it sure is a nice looking machine.

Anyone interested?
You're right, it's high, but cool machine. I have a very nice Adler in the basement, along with the cabinet and chair. I believe the paint and decals are a later addition, but it looks to be a nice job, and I'd just leave it that way!!
Old 03-30-2011, 01:15 PM

In my opinion, $85 is a good price. I have one, and wouldn't sell it that low.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by OmaForFour
Thanks for trying to help me out! I did find a place with a conversion kit which is a piece that attaches so that you can use side loading attachments. It won't harm the machine and it can always be changed back to its original. I thought I might try that. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by OmaForFour
Billy,

I just got a 1914 Singer Red Eye with the back clamping feet.
I wondered if you would know where I can purchase additional pieces for it such as a quarter inch foot etc etc.
Do they make these for my machine to accomodate the latest type of quilting on a machine if you know what I mean?
I bought a walking foot that I can use on my Featherweight for example.
I hope this pic comes through.
That sure is a nice red eye you have there unfortunately the back clamping attachments are not made anymore and are very hard to find. Sometimes you can find them on ebay and in antique stores. It took me almost two years to find attachments for my red eye. I was lucky some very nice and generous members of this board helped me in finding some. Glenn
I spent a bunch of time online today looking for these (while this board was down ALL DAY!!) and found... nothing. Your best bet might be to buy a whole sewing machine that is in poor condition, but has all the feet with it. A donor machine. My 1908 66 also takes the back clamping feet...
Where did you find the conversion kit? I am interested in this. Glenn
I would like to know where to find the conversion kit too.
Thanks,
Sharon W.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts

I believe she's referring to the Elna #1 rather than the Supermatic?? Here's a picture of the Grasshopper:

http://www.grandmotherssewingmachine...asshopper.html
Old 03-30-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by MarieM
Hi folks, I made it to the thrift store yesterday and test drove both the Singer 301 and Necchi Alco 400 (not really vintage in my book). I told the owner I'd thread both machines, adjust the tension and make sure they both ran. The singer had some electrical issues and seemed a little sluggish, so I opted to leave that one at the store. The Necchi, that I wasn't really interested in was like a work horse. It was quiet, smooth, kinda like driving a luxury car, so I brought that one home. All that to get to the question: I want to get some cams for it, I've looked on E-Bay the sellers for the ones listed don't know which machine they are for. Are the cams for the Necchi interchangeable or are the specific to each model? I'd appreciate any information. Thanks in advance.
Marie M.
I am pretty sure that there is a Yahoo group for vintage Necchi machines. That would be a good place to learn about your machine.