Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Wedding Dress quilt? >

A Wedding Dress quilt?

A Wedding Dress quilt?

Old 03-30-2011, 04:34 PM

Yes, it is simply magnificent!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:30 AM

I was looking through old watched topics and realized that I never posted pics of the quilt I made. The pics are not that great, but here they are:
Originally Posted by Sallyjane
How strange to find this post today. Guess what I worked on over the weekend, you guessed it! I incorporated a wedding dress into a quilt! It is a long story, but a young lady from our Church assumed that I would make her a baby quilt, because she'd seen me give them as gifts in the past. So, she sent me a link to colors/style that she was using for the baby's room. Well, I got to work on it right away, after much planning etc. I got the top done. Then about a week later, she contacted me and said she'd always wanted her wedding dress to be part of a baby quilt and would I do that for her. I told her it was too late, the only thing I could offer would be to back it with her dress fabric. Well the following Sunday, she brought her dress to Church for me to use!!! I did not touch it for a month! But I finally decided that it was what she wanted, so I made the fatal cut this past weekend. I did all kinds of free motion quilting, actually did it with the backing side up so I could work around the embellishments. The FMQ looks great on the satin!!! The quilt is stiffer than any I've done before, I think because the satin was so heavy duty.
Here is a link to a topic I created about this project. If you scroll down a little way, you can see a picture I attached of the look the mommy to be was going for. None of this was to suit my taste :) http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-48257-1.htm

Back of quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]215303[/ATTACH]

front that I already had done when she made her request
[ATTACH=CONFIG]215304[/ATTACH]

I did add some wedding dress fabric to flower pedal centers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]215305[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-215297.jpe
Views:	450
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	215303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-215298.jpe
Views:	107
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	215304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-215299.jpe
Views:	156
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	215305  
Old 06-22-2011, 11:41 AM

Karen, did you ever make her wedding dress into a quilt? Post pics if you did!
Old 06-22-2011, 12:00 PM

There is a Cancer org that businesses and regular people donate their leftover dresses to be made into quilts. They are auctioned off in October with the starting bid at $2000. It has been 10/12 years since I made one.
I called them, gave shipping info. and guaranteed freight to and from. They ship you ten dresses, some worn and some with tags still on them, assorted sizes.
First I decided on what size to use for the large center and then the size of blocks surrounding the center. I cut up the dresses using the decorations to make up the blocks into whatever struck my fancy. I put all the blocks together with cancer pink satin strips. It was the most unusual and beautiful quilt I ever thought to make.
I did enter it into the County Fair. They returned it to me dirty and with grease, some of the beads and sequins and pearl decorations torn loose.
Then someone had the nerve to give it a 3rd Place ribbon stating on back of the ribbon how it was not a practical quilt so it could not be used and that it was dirty and torn. I call this obviously stupid.
Now this is what was done to a beautiful one of a kind decorative quilt that was intended for the Cancer Society. Needless to say I would never again enter anything of value in one of these country fairs. By the way, I did enter a lovely quilt in the Ar State Fair in 2000 or 2001 and won both 1st Place and Best of Show on my Christmas quilt.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
My youngest DD just asked me to make her wedding dress into a quilt!
I've never heard of such a thing, but I've been googling and saw some pictures.
When did this start?
She's in her late 30's and done having kids (3 boys) so she figures no one will ever want to wear her dress in the future.
I guess it's a good idea but it'll break my heart.
We had so much fun and hunted high and low to find that dress, and she was gorgeous in it.
What do you think?
It'll be a VERY expensive quilt, if I do it.
Has anyone here ever made one?

I still have my wedding dress and like most it is hanging in the closet. I have always wanted to make a quilt from it and have a few ideas. The dress was very plain, in ivory satin with cream colored trim at the top and the lace up back. Do you think I could use the lace up back as the center block, basically deconstructing it at the side seams and then layering it on another piece of satin. I think the lacing would be a great start of a beautiful quilt. I am not sure about the rest of the quilt, as there was no lace, beadwork or ribbons. Should I add from another dress?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:36 PM

I would probably first make a beautiful christening gown from the dress, then use the rest for a quilt. I think I would decide on several classic blocks and make the dress into as many as possible to make the quilt. You would have two wonderful gifts for your daughter. The quilt she will cherish with memories of her wedding day and the fun you had finding the dress, and the christening gown for her future grandchildren to wear when the time comes.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:41 PM

Several years ago I saw quilt at Paducah made from a wedding dress. They used it as a dress, there was a bride and I think a groom. It was awesome. Wish I could figure out a way to show you a picture.
I made my wedding gown out of linen. When my first son was christened, I cut the bottom off and made his outfit out of that. I dyed the dress and wore it to his christening. I would love to make it into a quilt, but it didn't survive the fire. :(