Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh no - binding! >

Oh no - binding!

Oh no - binding!

Old 03-31-2011, 06:36 AM

The moose one was fine (in my opinion) until she got to the end where she makes it more difficult than it has to be. At that point, make sure the beginning is laying flat against the quilt edge (like she shows). Take the end and butt it up against the beginning tail and fold the excess back over itself and crease very well. We are going to assume you cut your binding strip 2-1/2" wide. Lay your ruler on this crease and cut off all but 2-1/2". Then just sew your diagonal seam, trim it to 1/4" inch, press it open and you are good to go. Works 100% of the time so long as you cut accurately.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:38 AM

This might not be kosher to real quilters, but I just put my binding on the regular way and when I get close to the second end, I just open up the beginning of the binding and tuck it inside. I thought that was how you ended it and have done that from day one. Simple and unstressful.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nolee
This might not be kosher to real quilters, but I just put my binding on the regular way and when I get close to the second end, I just open up the beginning of the binding and tuck it inside. I thought that was how you ended it and have done that from day one. Simple and unstressful.
I've done that to quite a few when I first started but I wanted to be able to do it the "other way". Weirdly enough I couldn't find the method in any of my quilt books - I had to search the internet to find the solution.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
Does anyone have this binding tool??? Is it worth it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAGrGz6ukn0
I bought this tool thinking it would help. But, then each time I used it I had to bring up the video on how to use it. I only bind a quilt about once a month so I could not remember how to use it from one quilt to the next. Wish they had a paper on how to use it that I could print out.

Now I just use the method mentioned above.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:52 AM

WOW! There are so many tutorials and othe good stuff in these replies! Thank you all so much!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:56 AM

I highly suggest you look at Sharon Schamber's method of binding. She uses Elmer's School glue instead of pins. It works great - I've used this method. She has several different videos showing her method. You can also see it at her website.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:56 AM

I have the tool. I am a very new quilter and this tool is AWESOME!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
I found this tutorial about a year ago and it really helped me. http://www.moosequilts.com/BindingTutorialWeb.pdf

Before that, I was just making a mess of my binding. I did do a couple of practice runs on scraps before I tried it on an actual quilt and I did get it twisted a couple of times like she said can happen.

I also do double binding and I cut my strips at 2 1/2 inches.
Thank you, thank you. Best tute I have ever seen on the subject. I will be your friend for life. ♥♥
Old 03-31-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
I found this tutorial about a year ago and it really helped me. http://www.moosequilts.com/BindingTutorialWeb.pdf

Before that, I was just making a mess of my binding. I did do a couple of practice runs on scraps before I tried it on an actual quilt and I did get it twisted a couple of times like she said can happen.

I also do double binding and I cut my strips at 2 1/2 inches.
This is the way I do it. I got it from a different site, but it is the same method. I usually leave longer ends to sew together when it is a very large quilt; just leaves more room to deal with the quilt bulk. Also, I don't cut off the excess before I sew the ends together. I have accidentally sewn the binding too short and was glad I had excess to let it out and do it over.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:44 AM

I am new to quilting and have been self teaching for a couple of months so I went to youtube for reference...Here is a link that I found helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka7kSF6DqWI