Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't like to spray baste...how about anyone else?? >

I don't like to spray baste...how about anyone else??

I don't like to spray baste...how about anyone else??

Old 03-30-2011, 04:55 PM

I have spray basted but have gone back to pinning. I sometimes spray a very light coat to help keep material in place. If using flannel a person doesn't need spray.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:09 PM

I spray baste everything. I love my spray. I have only pinned very small projects and I hated those darn pins while quilting - I would never use pins on anything bigger than table topper size. I do it on my basement floor, and I open the basement windows - there is a great cross wind through my basement, and when there isn't, I have a large fan down there to blow towards the window. I have never had a problem with wrinkles in my backing, nor have I had any puckers. I never have problems with over spray either. I usually use 505, but recently tried June Taylors and have found it to be comparable, though a bit smellier.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Delilah
Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
It's not even just a matter of it NOT being good for one's health. ( and make no mistake, anything that leaves a residue on your floor is also leaving that same crap in your lungs) .Aerosols are also bad for the environment.But I guess it's just ingrained in our culture that it's more important to take a short cut than be socially responsible.That makes me sad.
Whoa! No pointed criticism or moral superiority here! What makes me sad is bending over tables or crawling around on the floor for hours, inserting 2000 safety pins (that will get in the way of quilting) and being in pain with arthritic knees and bad back for days. Sorry dear, love my spray basting, aerosol and all. My standard of acceptance for smoothness and quality of quilting is much higher now with spray basting. It's practically wrinkle proof. If you're getting wrinkles all you need to do is peel back the layers and reposition. I agree with carolaug and susanwilley completely, will never go back to pinning or thread basting.
Thanks Delilah! Well said. I don't believe that just because we choose to do something a certain way that we are not socially responsible (at least in this case). I love spary basting! Saves me time and I get great results.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:14 PM

I use 505 adhesive when I embroider and don't want hoop marks on it or if it is too thick to put into the hoop.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:14 PM

I use 505 adhesive when I embroider and don't want hoop marks on it or if it is too thick to put into the hoop.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by patchsamkim
I was reading the thread about spray basting...am I the only one that doesn't like to spray baste?? I don't like the smell...or the stickiness...or the fact that you have to have good ventilation to use...so can't use during winter in the north...and the warnings on the can worry me. I don't love pin basting...but that is what I do...only ever spray basted 1 quilt and gave away the can...I think it was the 505.
I can't imagine basting on a wall...well, in my house there isn't a wall big enough anywhere....older house with broken up rooms, lack of bigger walls. I use tables at friend's houses...who also do not spray baste...one friend is about deathly allergic to the spray...really bad reaction.

Anyone else?
Me neither. I still prefer to pin mine.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:39 AM

I have COPD and can't use the spray, I use to pin like
Sharon S. My husband got me two 8 ft long boards and painted them. Go to Utube and Watch Sharon Champers on basting. I used pins. I now have a Handi Quilter Frame and don't have to pin.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:44 AM

I prefer pin or thread basting.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by mrsddh97
I just started using 505 and I like it. I do it indoors, on the wall did not have a mess. I have done 3 quilts so far and will use it moving forward.
I agree with Bizzylady, I also have just started using 505 and I love it, love it!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:00 AM

An experienced and award winning quilter/teacher cautioned me, years ago, about using spray basting. Her reason? We, as yet, have no idea about what it will eventually do to the fabric.