Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serger ? ? ? >

Serger ? ? ?

Serger ? ? ?

Old 03-31-2011, 05:31 AM

I don't know what your price range is or what other sewing you do. I serger is a must for garment and home dec construction. I use mine daily when I am making Linus quilts. I make simple ones that are made envelope or pillowcase style. I use the serger for constructing the envelope. It finishes off the seam and cuts off the excess fabric. It also comes in handy to sew around the raw edges of the backing for a regular quilt, no ravels. There are quilt as you go methods that can be done with a serger. When I worked for a Bernina dealer I attended a class where we made a small quilt and a quilted and ruffled pillow completely on the serger and even installed a zipper. If you look at the construction of most of your store bought garments they are made almost entirely on a serger.
I recommend purchasing one with a built in rolled hem capacity. Except for the cheapet ones most of them are very easy to thread. I prefer Bernina's but that is my personal prefernce.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by bpieces
Good Morning,
I am new to the board and new to quilting. I love it and have learned a lot by reading this board. I want to buy a good quality serger. One that willl last and is sturdy and easy to use. I know that is a lot to ask but I really need your help.
bpieces :?:
Getting a serger is a great idea, but only if you will use it. I have a Babylock Evolve (the new version is called Evolution) that I absolutely love. Babylock is the only serger on the market that has jet-air threading which makes it the best when it come to threading. It also has auto tension...so no tension problems.

When I was looking for my serger, I looked at all of the name brands and had them demonstrated for me. When you go to the sewing store the sergers are already threaded. It is important to insist that they rethread the machine in front of you. Don't let them just show you the path the thread goes through. You need to see the process.
So many people don't use their sergers because threading can be tedious and difficult.

When I saw the Babylock I knew I had found the machine for me. The jet-air threading and the auto tension make this machine the easiest one to use. Babylocks are pricey but they are quality products. Babylock used to have a video on their site that explains the jet-air threading. You might want to check out their site. I have no affiliation with Babylock. If they knew how much I love their product they would probably hire me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Take the time you need to get the perfect serger for you.

P.S. I recently made a quilt top completely on the serger. I would have never thought it would be possible to get accurate piecing using a serger...but you can :thumbup: Sure made fast work of it, and the back looked so pretty with every seam so nicely finished.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 AM

I like my serger for sewing long strips together for a Rail Fence Quilt and other blocks that require that method. Works great in making a Trip Around the World. The next Bargello I make I will serge the horizontal strips together, but not sure if I want to serge the vertical placement. Since I machine quilt, the tiny bit of extra bulk in the seams is no problem. Mainly, I use it for garment construction.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by frarose
I bought a self threading Babylock serger.
Self threading? Wow!! that is an awesome feature. I hate threading mine, especially the #4 thread..
Old 03-31-2011, 10:29 AM

I have two sergers, one is an industrial that can handle anything I can throw at it and the other is a Viking. I would never buy another Viking. I have hated that machine since the beginning and only use it when I have to. It can only handle two thicknesses of cotton and is so fussy it's not worth trying anything else. The next serger I buy will be a Babylock.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:31 PM

Thanks to all that answered my serger question. I will probably use the serger more for sewing because I am a better sewer than quilter. But I want to become a better quilter and sounds as if I can use the serger there also. I will definitely look into the babylock sergers.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:49 PM

I have 2 Singers, an Elna, Hobbylock and Juki serger. All but the Juki are 4 thread. I recommend the 4 thread because you get that extra solid line of stitching. They all work great. The Elna requires more oiling than the others and that can be kind of a pain.

I had a new White (the gal only used it twice) but didn't keep it. They still use the old threading technology, which I found very annoying.

With the exception of one of the Singers, I purchased all my sergers used. I have so many because I teach sewing and own the machines in my class. My kids have had no problems learning and using these machines.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:40 PM

I have a 4 thread Baby Lock...wow..I think its OLD! lolol I bought it to make bathing suits for my DD before she sprouted up! (prolly she was 11?..she is 28 now!) I use mine to serge my fabric before I wash it...no tangling or shreding. I know its an extra step, but lots of times I can just fold the fabric out of the dryer with no ironing (UGH I hate ironing!) I would look into a used one..but try them out. As with Domestic sewing machines, one will suit you better than the others.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:02 AM

Hello!

I, too am new to this site and just happened to see your question. I have worked in a sewing store for the past 3 years and here are my thoughts.

First and foremost, research before you buy!! Second, as someone else recommended, make sure they demostrate the threading process no matter what model you buy. Ask if you can do it. The jet-air by Babylock is very nice but be ready for sticker shock. I personally own a pre-owned Huskylock (Viking) 910 and love it!!!! Even the owner says the 910 & 936 (has cover stitch) are the best. It is really a personal perference. Another thing is service!! Wherever you buy your serger, check to see if they offer any training classes and if they service their machines. I know Viking just came out with a 200S that sergered nicely. It's brand new. Have fun shopping!

Sergers have come a long way since they were introduced. I almost bought one 30 years ago but decided to wait and I'm glad I did. I love my serger and it isn't something you will use ALL the time but if your area offers classes for projects using using it, you will be surprised. I make a serge/flip baby blanket that is done completely on the serger. AMAZING!!!! I've also made a tote bag totally with my serger except the finsihing top-stitch. I have not used it in quilting but have no doubts that may be ways you can.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:16 AM

I have a Babylock Imagine serger. I have had two othera thru the years, but find this is the very easiest to use. It is self-threading which is a big plus. I would advise staying away from any with dials. They can be a real headache.