Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Antique Quilt Piece >

Antique Quilt Piece

Antique Quilt Piece

Old 03-29-2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ann Marie O
I had an old settee refinished/reupholstered last summer and in the process, we found this old piece of quilted material used in the stuffing. I know the settee was built for my great grandfather around 1900-1910 so this quilt had to be old at that time. The man who did my settee felt the quilt was probably from the Civil War days. My question is "What do I do with it?" I am looking for suggestions. I had thought of using it as a mat an old picture frame and putting our family tree centered on it but the frames are too shallow and don't leave any air space between the quilt and glass, so decided not to do that. I think the only thing I could do is use a shadow box type of display with something in front of it. Although the quilt is in bad shape, it is amazing how bright some of the fabrics still are. What do you think?
Please don't cut it up! Although it probably doesn't have very much or any monetary value, it is valuable as quilt history. Most of those "service quilts" made every which way, and just to keep members of the family warm have dissappeared, because they were not highly thought of at the time - in fact look where yours came from!
It is valuable as a reference, so others can compare theirs to it, because yours can be dated and associated with a family! You can't imagine how rare that is.
It should be stored out of the light, so the colors don't fade. Contact the curators of quilt museums....Try the one in Lowell, Mass. or one near you.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by mouseface
Originally Posted by Murphy
If you have a university close they would have a clothing and textile dept. that would be able to help date it. What a great find.
I didn't know that University's would do that (or could do that). I also have an antique wedding dress that has been in my family for years and while we figure it is about 120-140 years old, we really don't know. I would love to find out more about it and it's age.
or try your local historical society they might help too and guide you to the right people
Ask the Smithsonian Museum. The staff will hate me for writing it here, but as an american citizen, you are allowed to ask them ONE question that they must try to answer. If you can possibly take it there, make an appointment with one of their curators in textiles.
If you are a good distance away contact them by letter and send a good clear photo. of it, to start with.
Jeannie (Retired Museum Director)
Old 03-29-2011, 11:43 PM

What a treasure. I love to imagine the ladies working on it many years ago. Thank you for showing us.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
If you have a university close they would have a clothing and textile dept. that would be able to help date it. What a great find.
Great idea!
Old 03-30-2011, 02:25 AM

That has to be really old. It would look really neat in a shadow box.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:47 AM

The story on the settee is that my great grandfather owned a laundry business in a small town here in Michigan around 1900-1910. There was a man who couldn't pay his bill and so offered to make this settee (and 3 chairs) in exchange. My grandfather accepted his offer and that is how we came into owning the settee. When the fabric on the front edge gave way I discovered the piece of quilt in it that was used for stuffing. When having it refinished last year I told them about the quilt inside and that I wanted it saved to keep. Since the quilt was old at the time the settee was constructed we decided it must have been at least another 30-40 years older or it wouldn't have been used in such a way. Because I know the history and it is part of my family, it makes it more special.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Great-great granny
I had an old settee refinished/reupholstered last summer and in the process, we found this old piece of quilted material used in the stuffing. I know the settee was built for my great grandfather around 1900-1910 so this quilt had to be old at that time. The man who did my settee felt the quilt was probably from the Civil War days. My question is "What do I do with it?" I am looking for suggestions. I had thought of using it as a mat an old picture frame and putting our family tree centered on it but the frames are too shallow and don't leave any air space between the quilt and glass, so decided not to do that. I think the only thing I could do is use a shadow box type of display with something in front of it. Although the quilt is in bad shape, it is amazing how bright some of the fabrics still are. What do you think?
VERY INTERESTING - The little piece in the center looks like from the same "family" as a part of a piece of material in the upper right area of the 2nd pic - it is white w/a dark (black?) "greek" type design in it????

I think I might take it to a frame maker & get suggestions - possibly a box type w/a place for the story of the piece on it & a few other "old" small pieces you might have inherited from that side of the family placed in the bottom???

Anyway would love to see the finished product when you decide - I'm sure it will be an outstanding treasure for you.

I also LOVE the way you had the setee finished - looks so appropriate. What a wonderful inheritance. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The piece is black and white - Greek type design. I have had a frame maker look at it and he suggested using the shadow box and keeping the whole piece in it with photos, mementos, etc in front of it or even using my family tree with it too.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:28 PM

I would contact the Wiscon Museum of Quilts and Fiber Arts at 262-546-0300 and see if they have any advice for you. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
WOW! I would go with picking out a good piece and putting it in a shadowbox along with the story. and a picture of the setee, before and after if possible
Love this idea!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:37 PM

I would frame it in a shadow box, what a treasure.