Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Method of whittling down your UFO's >

Method of whittling down your UFO's

Method of whittling down your UFO's

Old 03-31-2011, 09:31 AM

I have the same problem, but I think my problem is because it's such a pain to try manhandling the quilt through the machine. Oh what I'd give for a long arm.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:38 AM

I guess that is why I accepted the March UFO Challenge. I had so many projects between quilt tops and wall hangings, I was starting to feel guilty about them. Could not even justify buying more fabric until I had completed some of them. Working on UFO #3 now. A wall hangning for my Mom. Mom is running out of wall space because she displays every thing that my brother and I have ever made for her.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I guess I look at this differently. Quilting is my hobby, and unless I run out of room for the UFO's I really don't care how many I have.
Quilting is relaxing, destresses my mind, and I could be spending a whole lot of money in other areas and NOT have anything to show for it. So if I die with a pile of UFO's, my family knows where to take them where they will get finished :wink: and nothing will get thrown away or wasted.
This way I can enjoy piecing, quilting, or procrastinating, and enjoy my hobby MY way :D:D:D
Old 03-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

It seems I only don't finnish the quilt tops I made for myself. If I have a death line and some one to give it too it will get finnished.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:49 AM

I should add that I enjoy hand quilting and don't do any by machine. I did have my local laq quilt one for me that I really didn't like that much, she did a beautiful job!! I just wish hand quilting were faster!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:10 AM

I have to completley finish everything I make. When I'm coming down the home stretch of a quilt my mind is on my next project.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:26 AM

Our guild has a UFO challenge each year. We list one UFO to be finished each month during the coming year. As we finish, we enter our names into a drawing for a small prize and bring the item for show and tell. Some months, we finish none and other times, we finish more than one and can enter our names more than once that time.

If you don't belong to a guild, you can do this for yourself. Make a list and as you finish a project, buy yourself a FQ or some other treat. I keep lists of both UFOs and projects completed. It is amazing to see what I do accomplish, despite the preponderance of UFOs!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:30 AM

I only do one project at a time. That way I keep organized and I never have UFO's to worry about.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:32 AM

I hate UFOs. Makes me think I am slacking off. I can tell you thought that the machine you have makes a HUGE difference. I tried to do FMQ on my Bernina 1230 - nothin doin, frustrating and just wrong. So I started doing a lot of hand quilting until my wrist became numb. I just figured this hobby wasn't for me.

Two things changed - I said to heck with the quilt police and started doing hand quilting using a running backstitch. MUCH easier on my wrist. Then I got a BabyLok Quilter's Pro and tried FMQ on that. BIG difference! I can machine quilt a 6 x 6 in about 2 days (weekends). One thing I also did to give myself incentive is that the quilt design is as important as the piecing - so I make a point of creating interesting patterns that I like to quilt. That helped a lot too.I usually have a couple of projects going - one pieced project and one appliqued project just to give myself a break.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:52 AM

I love to feel fabric, cut it, and piece it. Most times getting to the quilting is a hard task. I have been sending my quilt tops out (larger than crib) to a wonderful long arm quilter who lives in OR.