Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Half-Square Triangle Migraine >

Half-Square Triangle Migraine

Half-Square Triangle Migraine

Old 04-01-2011, 04:57 AM

You’ve gotten so many GREAT suggestions from everyone here. This happened to me too so I did what Nana Jan does. If you think they are too wonky to use for this quilt you could start again and save the ones you’ve already made for a scrap quilt later. You could mix them up with other shapes next to them.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
I bought some stencils from a board member and can make 31 triangle squares at a time or just one. THEN I also bought a JUNE TAYLOR Half Triangle Square RULER.... (it is awesome) After using stencils I square up 100% with June Taylor. Works like a champ.... Never will I be without either one of these items again... So awesome.... If you want name of stencils let me know I will go look. NO WASTE.... NONE :)
I also use the June Taylor ruler. I have never had an half-square turn out perfect, but the ruler has every thing you need built in to make a 6 1/2 Half Square Triangle.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:03 AM

Buy triangulations cd-you stack the fabrics pin the paper patern on, sew on the dotted lines, cut on the solid lines and voila! a bunch of perfect half square trianges. Version 3 has flying geese too-I just got it yesterday so haven't tried that yet. One of the best things is that there is no waste of fabric.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by sblancarte
Buy triangulations cd-you stack the fabrics pin the paper patern on, sew on the dotted lines, cut on the solid lines and voila! a bunch of perfect half square trianges. Version 3 has flying geese too-I just got it yesterday so haven't tried that yet. One of the best things is that there is no waste of fabric.
Where do you get the triangulations cd?
Old 04-01-2011, 05:31 AM

Maybe Scissor could write a tutorial? Just a thought.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:46 AM
Banned

The method you used makes all the outside edges a bias edge. No wonder it was frustrating.

Here is the method I teach all the time, and have the best success at. And it yields 8 HSTs at the same time. I use the same math formula and one cool tool for nearly perfect results each time. Yup, I admit, I'm a pointy quilter. I like perfect points.

I always trim all my units afterward, using Eleanor Burns' "Triangle Square-Up Ruler" to trim the HSTs to the perfect size. LOVE this ruler!!! You can see her video of how it works here:
http://www.quilt-in-a-day.com/televi...lesquareup.asp

FORMULA: (FINISHED SIZE + 1" ) x 2 = SIZE SQUARES to CUT.
Note: The 1" extra accounts for 1/4" seam allowance on each side, plus 3/8" for the diagonal seam, plus another 1/8" fudge factor in case your seam allowance is too large or a bit wonky.

Here's an EXAMPLE: For 3" finished HSTs, add 1" (4), multiply that number x 2 (= 8)
*CUT 2 - 8" squares (contrast in color or value)
Follow these simple steps:

*STITCH 1/4" from the lines, on both sides of the drawn lines. *CUT into four-inch squares, then CUT on diagonal lines.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]177890[/ATTACH]

*DRAW diagonal lines from corner to corner in an X on the wrong side of the lighter of the two fabrics. *LAYER right sides together.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]178040[/ATTACH]

*TRIM each unit to size *YIELD: 8 perfect Half-Square Triangles.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]178135[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-177884.png
Views:	33
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	177890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-178034.png
Views:	35
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	178040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-178129.png
Views:	34
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	178135  
Old 04-01-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Nolee
I am ready to give up hst's forever. I did them the easy way on the tutorial by sewing them right sides together around all the edges, then precisely cutting on the diagonal twice and sewed them with a meticulous 1/4th inch seam and STILL they are off, STILL they are wonky. I thought I would just cut them a bit smaller with a template, but it gets stuck on the join of all four centers and moves all around and I can't cut accurately around it.

What in the world am I doing wrong? I have done them over and over and they just don't turn out the right size. Suggestions?
You are not alone in this. I did the same method you did and did enough for two baby quilts at one time and now I'm trying to put everything together and nothing is coming together correctly. I am so frustrated and what should have been fun baby quilts has now turned into a pile of HST's that I've been ignoring. I guess nothing more I can do but trim them all to size. Good luck with your project!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:57 AM

I use Ta-Da triangles they come out perfect and I don't have paper to rip out so no pulling on the seam. And, no dull needles from paper.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:02 AM

I make triangles by sewing in the middle, not just one time but 2. Make the square 1/2 inch larger than you want the triangle to be. Sew 1/4 inch to one side of the center mark, turn around and sew 1/4 inch on the other side of the center mark. Cut in half on the center mark. You have 2 sets of traingles already attached==light on dark, dark on dark, or whatever you match with right sides together.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:06 AM

One question, do you use a steam iron or a dry iron when you press?