Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serger ? ? ? >

Serger ? ? ?

Serger ? ? ?

Old 04-01-2011, 04:35 AM

I have an Elna and Bernina 5-thread. They both require work to thread but sew beautifully. I keep white thread on one and dark on the other. Depending on usage, I would recommend buying gently used from a local sewing center. I use mine the most for draperies and clothing.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:57 AM

What are your plans for using a serger? They are not usually used in quilting? I have read that it is important to get a good quality machine because the cheaper ones just
don't sew as well.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:10 AM

I suggest you buy a self threading one.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:10 AM

Here is my serger story. In 1990 I bought a Babylock Eclipse with air thread. I used it to death...literally to death. I bought a Babylock Evolve, but my time was short and I did not have time to learn how to use it properly, the store I purhased from closed two weeks after my purchase and this thing is complicated. I sold it and bought a Pfaff, thinking that after all these years, surely they have improved on the difficulty of threading these things. Not so! The Pfaff is a PITA to thread and I only bought it at Christmas! If you can afford Babylock with air threading, go for it..you will save yourself a lot of grief. I have also heard very good things about the Brother sergers, and I have a Brother embroidery machine and am thrilled with it. Good luck in your decision. Test drive, thread, and be careful out there! Buyer's remorse is painful!
Michelle G.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:11 AM

i have a serger " National " since about 1994 and know it well. I have only used my sergers in home clothes and home dec construction.
I have the babylock evolve with jet air threading, a gift from DH, can't say that I like it. Maybe with time .
I also have a used one that needs a tiny screw, its a very old Elna. I plan to get the screw it needs and re sell it, hopefully soon.
Take your time and try out all you can before making a purchase.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:15 AM

I bought a good used Elna about 10 years ago, works great. Only use it when making costumes and things for church dramas and decorations.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:10 AM

I have a computertize 5 thread Viking. I love is for heming pants. You have a finished edge to do a blind stich. I can do some quilting on mine by changing the plate and it is great for small projects and I don't have to use my other machines.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:11 AM

well, the gal that does my quilting with her long arm told me she hoped I didn't serg my quilts now. Her statement was the quilting needle will sometimes get caught up in the serged threads and a cause a big mess... I guess she may have had issues in the past... anyone have a comment on this????
Old 04-01-2011, 06:16 AM

I have an older Babylock and absolutely adore it! You can speedily do a quilt as you go project, many clothing items (in particular is great for sweatshirts and/or knits), and is indispensable for home decor/gifts. :thumbup:
Old 04-01-2011, 06:27 AM

I have a Juki MO-645DE for at least 10 years. It's a real work horse. My first one was a Pfaff and would not have another one, my mother almost threw her Viking down the stairs as it was always giving her trouble. She has a New Home and loves it. When you go to purchase, take scraps of the type of fabric you will be sewing with you so that you can test for your needs, not the needs of the shop. They use only stiff easy to sew fabric for testing so that everything looks good. Have fun and good luck.
Brenda