Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Method of whittling down your UFO's >

Method of whittling down your UFO's

Method of whittling down your UFO's

Old 04-01-2011, 06:30 AM

Boy did I see myself in this discussion! I usually have one quilt on the hand frame, one on the machine and one for lap quilting in a hoop. As long as I work some on any of them, I treat myself to piecing. I've tried not starting another until one is finished but I never seem to catch up. I really like the idea of a list and the 20 minutes a day. It seems that eventually they would no longer be UFOs. I belong to a small quilting group. We reserve the conference room in the local library, push tables together, and help each other pin baste the sandwich a few times a year. It helps to assist in this task and keeps the quilts going. I think we need to start that UFO challenge.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:34 AM

I have a stack of tops in my longarm room that I am slowly whittling away at. I have had my longarm for a year but I am so bad at it that I didn't want to do my "good" quilts. I just finished one I was afraid to do and it turned out OK except for my machine making bad stitches.

I need to just bite the bullet and get them done. I do seem to get ones done that are specifically for someone. The others are just because...
Old 04-01-2011, 06:37 AM

Me, too. I have about 40 WIP - mostly tops to finish. Someday......
Old 04-01-2011, 07:10 AM

My best method was findng a wonderful long arm quilter!!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:24 AM

JanRN, practice your fmq on those pot holders, It is a great project for that, and I too have a list that gets worked on at least 1/2 an hour before I start on something special
Old 04-01-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by redmadder
Ah, make them into quilts is the question. I tie charity quilts with yarn and use a needle punched batting or a bonded polyester. Do they hold up? Family members have some that have been in use for 25 years.
I tie them too, but cannot use yarn, too hard on my arm, so use crochet thred and seal the knots with Fray Chek--
No, no batting--use blankets--they can be washed in the washer for YEARS that way!-Batting shreds....
Old 04-01-2011, 07:47 AM

I hand quilt because I dont have space or money for a long arm. I just like the look and feel of a hand quilted quilt.
The machine quilting is beautiful and closer together than my hand quilting but it would get rather expensive to have to pay to have them ALL machine quilted at the rate I like to make them!! Then again I would have MORE time to piece if I could get them machine quilted....decisions decisions-- eat or sew...hey isnt that a good new diet solution?? :)
Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 AM

Yes, I have 8 UFO's myself and can't seem to get motivated to completing them. That's what i get when I make them....instead of completing ONE, I start another, then another, and so on it goes.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:57 AM

I have several UFO's in the almost finished stage and some ready to be quilted. But since I do longarming for others, mine never seem to get finished. When I have time another pattern pops up that I want to piece so I start it. Vicious (sp) circle. As they say, a carpenters house is never finished,,,,
Old 04-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

My maiden post here! :)

I'm the Queen of UFOs for Quilts and other things too. Even housework, which I LOVE to abandon, in order to piece!!

Here's an idea that has spurned me to get may UFOs finished this winter. Our local quilt shop focused on UFOs this winter/spring. Here's how it worked.

Take UFO in to store, to register.
Pay $1, $2 or $3 dependent on the project size.
Take home and complete.
Return to store with it totally finished for Show and Tell!
Photos taken, to help inspire others.
With your project finished, you now get one ballot for every $ paid.

Six months later 5/31, there's a lucky draw for all the $$$$.
Must be one big pot! :)

And yes, though I have been doing my UFOs, I have managed to start some new ones. I always say, too many ideas, just not enough time to sew.

Today, plans are to finish a Stained Glass quilt (except for the quilting)