Method of whittling down your UFO's >

Method of whittling down your UFO's

Method of whittling down your UFO's

Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

OOPS! Guess I said "too" much!
I'll work on the brevity part!! :)
Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 AM

QuiltE welcome hope to see you post alot more. What a great idea quilting store had, a great way to bring the quilting community together and finish UFO's.

I am in the same group as so many of you, love to design and piece even like to bind but don't like the quilting. I have started quilting the top to the batting and then just tie the back to the front. Still testing but at least I have some hope of finishing.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by michelehuston
I do this all the time!! Probably have 20 quilt tops to quilt, just can't seem to stop making them!! ;)
I, too, have 25+ quilt tops started and now finished. I cannot resist a quilt class offering and starting a block I have not sewed before.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:14 AM

Well, I try and have one ready for the sewing machine and always one in the frame. So, if I just want to relax, I can
work on the quilting, or if I really want to sew, I work on that.
Just need to have the projects ready to pick up and go.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Emma S
QuiltE welcome hope to see you post alot more. What a great idea quilting store had, a great way to bring the quilting community together and finish UFO's.

I am in the same group as so many of you, love to design and piece even like to bind but don't like the quilting. I have started quilting the top to the batting and then just tie the back to the front. Still testing but at least I have some hope of finishing.

Thanks EmmaS :)
It's been fun and productive.
And I'm sure the store has boosted their sales, as we always need extras to finish each project!!!

:-P
Old 04-01-2011, 08:24 AM

My quilts are doll size or just smaller quilts, so the quilting isn't so time consuming. And I LOVE the way they look after quilting and laundering them again - that sweet old used puffy look pleases me, and I don't really "see" the finished quilt til that's done. That's the best part to me!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:26 AM

I only have one UFO ready to quilt, but have another one that is close--so my solution? Since I don't have the money to buy a long arm (and with 2 small boys, don't have the time to get to the machine very often!) I rent time on my LQS long arm. It's very reasonable--3 hrs for $35. I only use it when I need it and don't have an expensive machine gathering dust when not needed.
Check with your LQS or some local longarmers--they may be willing to train you on their machine and let you rent it.
Rose Hall
Old 04-01-2011, 08:46 AM

I always finish them (Long armer does it!), then I bind during basketball season (my husband coaches!) Then..............I sit and wait! They age, they season and eventually-they are needed! Someone is ill, a baby is born, a wedding or just a surprise! All will eventually end up 'free to good home!' It is a hoot to drop one in the mail to someone when you know it will be a huge surprise!!! I have some that haven't had their 'calling' yet-7 or so years into it? Like my niece said..........Aunt Nadine must have quilts around like I have candles to send to my friends! (she got one when had an unexpected illness/surgery)! Also, when I get all my xmas letters-I make a list from them of all the quilts I will need that year! Get on them right away...just wrapping up this years....3 babies, 2 weddings, 2 high school graduations!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:50 AM

I have only three UfOs. The reason is I don't like to do the top. I like to hand do the quilting and do not like to put the top together. That is why my stash growth. The 2 ufo I bought and was given one already cut. But, I still don't seem to get them going because I like only to sit and hand sew. I can always use a push in a the other direction. :lol: :cry:
Old 04-01-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
Thanks for starting this thread--I hope lots of suggestions are made. I love to piece but for the life of me CANNOT FMQ so I have tops that need done. I have made so many potholders they're stacked up in my sewing room. I also have about 4 or 5 wall hangings or quilt tops tossed in the cupboard waiting for quilting.
C'mon folks-help us out with your suggestions to finish these UFO's!
My sister makes potholders and always has some in her purse. If someone does something that she thinks is especially nice, she gifts them with a couple. No one has ever refused one.