Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Method of whittling down your UFO's >

Method of whittling down your UFO's

Method of whittling down your UFO's

Old 04-01-2011, 09:04 AM
PJL

3 hours for $35???? Wow!! My LQS's LA rental is $26.50 per hour!! I should move!!

Originally Posted by Rose Hall
I only have one UFO ready to quilt, but have another one that is close--so my solution? Since I don't have the money to buy a long arm (and with 2 small boys, don't have the time to get to the machine very often!) I rent time on my LQS long arm. It's very reasonable--3 hrs for $35. I only use it when I need it and don't have an expensive machine gathering dust when not needed.
Check with your LQS or some local longarmers--they may be willing to train you on their machine and let you rent it.
Rose Hall
Old 04-01-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by thequiltmama
I was just saying the same thing the other day to a friend. The fun part is the quilt top. After that I lose interest. :)
I found when I lost interest in a quilt (I had two friends who also quilted and lived within 30 miles who also lost interest in quilts they had been working on), I would take a ride over with my UFO and find something in one of my friends UFO stack and swap. I would finish what they had started and they would finish what I had started. We would meet up when finished, look the quilts over and maybe swap back or maybe keep what we swaped for. We only swaped things that we didn't care if we got back. That way if the person finishing it wanted to keep it that was ok too.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:09 AM

my method? I piece to my hearts content and quilt just once in a while.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by thequiltmama
I was just saying the same thing the other day to a friend. The fun part is the quilt top. After that I lose interest. :)
Me too. I piece sooo much better than I quilt, and it's just not in my budget to send it out to be quilted! The making of the top is definitely the most fun part to do! Binding...don't even get me started!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:37 AM

I only read the first page, but SEND THEM TO THE LONGARM QUILTER. If you can't afford to get them all done at once, send one a month! Most longarmers have simple all-over patterns they charge less for than custom quilting. That way, the quilts are DONE!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:38 AM

my quilt shops also have UFO nights! Perhaps that is the way to go!!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:44 AM

me to im realy bad at colecting ufo im trying to start on a few today cut the backing and found som batting for a few baby quilt tops i had laying around thats my project for the weekend. im almost scared to go in my sewing room though its such a mess
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I'm in the same boat. I get bored with one project so I have to have several going but UFO's seem to add up much higher than finished quilts.
I'm hoping when I finally finish cleaning up my sewing room I'll get motivated.
It's such a mess I've been avoiding it!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:56 AM

i need to get off the computer and start putting my quilts together so i finish them love to peice a bit scared of FMQ oh well have to bite the bullet.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:00 AM

I know this is about finishing quilt tops, and getting through UFO's. I would also suggest selling them. There are people out there, that hate to piece but love to quilt. That would buy the tops just to finish them.
When my original machine died. I had to wait almost a year, till I got my new one, If i had the oppurtunity to buy a top I would have. I looked, but people really don't sell them. Just a thought.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:06 AM

I don't especially love making the tops, but do love doing the quilting. I am a member of a Yahoo group that donates quilts to charities. They send me tops created by others, I layer them, quilt them and send them on to be donated.
Everyone's happy!