Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-01-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
ok, Billy or Nancy or anyone ~ got this cabinet today ~ can you tell me anything about her? Minus the machine, its made for a smaller-than-full-size machine... but what was inside the cabinet is what got me! And I think hubby can just build me a support plate that ANY machine can sit on, but still leave room for the treadle belt...

And the price was excellent on this ~ free :)
OMG! I bet that was a Wilcox and Gibbs cabinet! The treadle 'feet' look just like my Wilcox and Gibbs treadle! Look at page 695 -- I think you can see those 'feet' on my treadle!
WOW, we are refinishing my cabinet, but yours won't take much at all, just a spit shine!

Nancy
Old 04-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by OmaForFour
Thanks for trying to help me out! I did find a place with a conversion kit which is a piece that attaches so that you can use side loading attachments. It won't harm the machine and it can always be changed back to its original. I thought I might try that. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Billy,

I just got a 1914 Singer Red Eye with the back clamping feet.
I wondered if you would know where I can purchase additional pieces for it such as a quarter inch foot etc etc.
Do they make these for my machine to accomodate the latest type of quilting on a machine if you know what I mean?
I bought a walking foot that I can use on my Featherweight for example.
I hope this pic comes through.
That sure is a nice red eye you have there unfortunately the back clamping attachments are not made anymore and are very hard to find. Sometimes you can find them on ebay and in antique stores. It took me almost two years to find attachments for my red eye. I was lucky some very nice and generous members of this board helped me in finding some. Glenn
I spent a bunch of time online today looking for these (while this board was down ALL DAY!!) and found... nothing. Your best bet might be to buy a whole sewing machine that is in poor condition, but has all the feet with it. A donor machine. My 1908 66 also takes the back clamping feet...
Where did you find the conversion kit? I am interested in this. Glenn
I would like to know where to find the conversion kit too.
Thanks,
Sharon W.
Are we going to keep this secret are you going to tell us the source ofthe Conversion kit for back clamp feet to side feet. Glenn
Old 04-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Thanks for trying to help me out! I did find a place with a conversion kit which is a piece that attaches so that you can use side loading attachments. It won't harm the machine and it can always be changed back to its original. I thought I might try that. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Billy,

I just got a 1914 Singer Red Eye with the back clamping feet.
I wondered if you would know where I can purchase additional pieces for it such as a quarter inch foot etc etc.
Do they make these for my machine to accomodate the latest type of quilting on a machine if you know what I mean?
I bought a walking foot that I can use on my Featherweight for example.
I hope this pic comes through.
That sure is a nice red eye you have there unfortunately the back clamping attachments are not made anymore and are very hard to find. Sometimes you can find them on ebay and in antique stores. It took me almost two years to find attachments for my red eye. I was lucky some very nice and generous members of this board helped me in finding some. Glenn
I spent a bunch of time online today looking for these (while this board was down ALL DAY!!) and found... nothing. Your best bet might be to buy a whole sewing machine that is in poor condition, but has all the feet with it. A donor machine. My 1908 66 also takes the back clamping feet...
Where did you find the conversion kit? I am interested in this. Glenn
I would like to know where to find the conversion kit too.
Thanks,
Sharon W.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:55 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Nancy, is that a smaller sized machine? Got this from a Singer repair man down the street from me ~ was trading out some of my dead old Touch-n-Sew machines and a broken old serger I didn't want to fix anymore for my daughter's "new" machine ~ her old Elgin was toast, it was a finger gear that was broken, with little hope of finding a replacement at a reasonable cost...

She's fixed up now with a running Wards Signature machine, freshly serviced... nothing unique or special, but its special to her ~ fits right into her elgin table! So she already has the quilt pattern picked out and is just finalizing her fabric choices from my stash... her first quilt with NO help from mom... I'm not even allowed to peek at her working on it, apparently its some top secret project :shock:

Anyway, this guy & I were talking about my Singer 27 treadle, and he was thrilled that I was actually going to use it ~ he showed me this cabinet and asked did I just want it... OMG i Love it! And I have to somehow find a way to get her operating again...
Old 04-01-2011, 01:56 PM

sorry for the double post, I am having a little trouble with this site but about to get it fixed. Glenn
Old 04-01-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
Nancy, is that a smaller sized machine? Got this from a Singer repair man down the street from me ~ was trading out some of my dead old Touch-n-Sew machines and a broken old serger I didn't want to fix anymore for my daughter's "new" machine ~ her old Elgin was toast, it was a finger gear that was broken, with little hope of finding a replacement at a reasonable cost...

Anyway, this guy & I were talking about my 127, and he was thrilled that I was actually going to use it ~ he showed me this cabinet and asked did I just want it... OMG i Love it! And I have to somehow find a way to get her operating again...
Yes, it is for the little Wilcox and Gibbs chain stitch machines! Look at my Wilcox and Gibbs on page 695 - see the little tiny machine before you see the painted black cabinet? That is a Wilcox & Gibbs -- they are actual sewing machines, not toys. They were used during the Civil War to put that fancy chain stitch on the soldier's uniforms - among other things! They don't use a bobbin, but have a looper and make a chain stitch like the ones on feed sacks! I love those treadle feet!

Shemjo also has a Wilcox and Gibbs on page 695!

Nancy
Old 04-01-2011, 02:21 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

your right Nancy! I just stuck my head in the cabinet (ewww, spider webs in my hair now!) ~ and these are two more pics...

look at the gorgeous iron ~ its is terrific shape, just a little clanking, needs some minor alighnment...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]178302[/ATTACH]

and I played with the flip plates ~ the back one was whimpy and snapped off (the wood was split there, but no where else... but the top flip panel has a heavy duty latch like a doorknob has...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]178303[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-178296.jpe
Views:	110
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	178302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-178297.jpe
Views:	95
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	178303  
Old 04-01-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pat Heinemann
Well, I got my Singer 27 working a bit, I am going to have to play with it tomorrow as it is not stitching good. Maybe every one inch is ok. Sure is fun to treadle on it. Pat
Glad you are up and running with your machine. The more you play with it the more you learn, Glenn
Old 04-01-2011, 02:43 PM

Hi all,

I did the Friday estate sale thing and found myself a nice featherweight 221 for $65.00. I spied the case in a pre-sale photo, but it was photographed laying on it's side. It's amazing how quickly you can "see" those familiar little "suitcases" once you know what to look for! :) It an early model from 1935-38. Came with all accessories, a decent case and tray (minus one latch)and manuals. Has a little decal wear, but fired right up when I plugged it in. I will clean it up some, and post a photo soon.

Just an aside, I also found a Vigorelli machine, unsure if it works, as the wiring was shot...lots of bare wires and potential for injury. The cabinet was cool...had the chair that slides in and looks like it's the front of the cabinet. They wanted $50.00 for it. I'm thinking about returning tomorrow. What do you guys think, should I go get it, and are these machines any good?

Thanks,
Jane
Old 04-01-2011, 03:31 PM

Been having trouble posting, but

Thank those who answered my question about dropping the feed dogs on my red eye 66.

I'll have to look for another vintage Singer Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Terry