Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I have a new old treadle - Albertina is her name. >

I have a new old treadle - Albertina is her name.

I have a new old treadle - Albertina is her name.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsapquilter
I would love to find a treadle machine. Seems like we have a power outage or two about every winter. Would be so nice to have a treadle to sew on at those times!!
Exactly - power outages are not uncommon in the woods in NW Montana either, so I can stitch to my heart's content by daylight, propane light or flashlight - LOL - now that I have a treadle machine. I'll most likely use her even when the electricity is on, which is 99% of the time.

Check ebay & Craig's list - have seen them reasonably priced on both sites. However, you'll have to find something close to home as shipping is seldom offered due to weight. I also placed an ad in our local paper & got a dozen calls. The one I finally bought was by word-of-mouth. Someone told me, "Buy for the cabinet; you can always find replacement machines on ebay".
Good luck should you decide to pursue the treadle search.
Jan
Old 04-01-2011, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Crabby Patty
I am supposed to pick my red-eye treadle up Sunday. I'm so excited. From the pictures it looks like we have a pair of separated twins.LOL. I hope you have as much fun with yours as I plan to on mine.
Be sure to post a pic once she arrives.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:28 AM

The Model 66s were made in two fashions; one had the feet (attachments) put on from the back of the post, and the other mounted from the side, as machines do today. The [back clamper] attachments are much harder to come by, whereas the [side clamper] attachments are more plentiful and less expensive.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by montanajan
I just bought this 1922 Singer model 66 "Red Eye" treadle machine & am excited to begin the cleaning process so she can be used. I already picked up a new belt at a local Singer store.
"Albertina" was purchased for a few dollars in 1922 by Albertina Nash. She was loved & used by Albertina for many years & many miles. When the machine was passed on to her DIL it became a lonely plant stand. I'm looking forward to bringing her back into action. I've named her in honor of the first seamstress who broke her in so many years ago.
This is my first venture into treadling. Thanks for looking at my new, old baby!

From the pic, it looks to be a side clamp. Beautiful old "red eye". I have a pretty plain black one with minimal gold decals, but boy does she make a lovely stitch.

Jan
The Red Eye looks beautiful! It will clean up even better! The old 66s are so much fun to treadle. I've been piecing all my quilts on mine, ever since I got it. I took another list member's suggestion to practice by piecing long strips, and it really helped get in the groove of treadling... a tube quilt or some blocks with strip construction would be great to start treadling with.

LOL, I also have the habit of calling my machines by the original owner's name. I have a "Florence", a "Georgia" and a "Marguerite"... and one with no known history, whatsoever.

Lucky you-- enjoy that 66! Is it a back clamper or a side clamper? Mine is a back clamper (1908).
Old 04-02-2011, 04:59 AM

Don't know what went wrong, but I lost my message above. I said that from the pic, it looks to be a side clamp and that I have a pretty plain 66 with minimal gold decals but she has the most bautiful stitch. You will love this machine.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:29 AM

OOOH....she's a beauty!!!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:03 AM

How lucky for you to have Albertina in your life now- She's in great shape, and you two are going to have a blast together. Happy sewing!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:08 AM

Beauty! Both the machine and cabinet.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:16 AM

I learned to sew on this machine. I remember my Mother making my clothes. She was a beautiful seamstress. And a beautiful person. I wish I knew what happened to it..
Old 04-02-2011, 06:41 AM

What a beautiful machine, great decals!!