Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any suggestions? >

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

Old 04-02-2011, 12:43 PM

Count me as not having one either. I dream about it.

Someone here recently mentioned that they learned how to set one up for quilting and that it was labor and time intensive and now she doesn't know if she wants one or not.

Sounds like something I would do ... buy one and then not like the time and trouble to get the quilt on the frame?
Old 04-02-2011, 01:17 PM

I don't have one either and will not ever have one. First of all i don't have the room and second I could not afford it. I am sticking with hand quilting or using my regular sewing machine.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:23 PM

:roll: LA is not in my future. Have always wanted one. now is too late can not stand up that long and do not have the money for one.really love to hand quilt so that is what I will keep on doing.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by mainelynn2
It's a John Flynn quilting frame to use with your regular sewing machine. Go to Nancysnotions.com and in there search bar type in John Flynn and it will come up with his quilting frame.
I bought one a few years ago and if you have a very small throat on your machine you still have to undo everything and roll it every 3" or so. I gave it away. Now I have a new machine with a 10" throat and love it and FMQ on it. I too will never be able to afford a long arm. Our LQS rents time on one but I have never tried it.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by ruck9085
I have a Singer Quilting machine, which really is just a sewing machine with a ton of stitches and such. So, I read on here about y'all doing free motion quilting and machine quilting on your machines. Here's my question... Am I the only person left who not only does not own a long arm machine, but will never be able to afford one?
Okay, enough whining. My biggest problem is I hand quilt all my projects because I only make bed quilts. I've tried a few times to machine quilt, but it just doesn't work for me. For one thing the throat on my machine is like eight inches and I can not figure out how to roll up a queen sized quilt and stuff it into that small space. How on earth do you all quilt on your sewing machines?
I don't have a longarm either and probably won't ever have. I like letting my favorite quilter do the quilting for me. The problem is the price. I may have to start hand quilting to stay caught up with all the projects I have started.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:08 PM

I have (and love) a 1941 Singer cast iron model...and I just don't quilt my quilts a lot. I have never had problems even though I've only quilted them 8" apart when it says right there on the batting bag to quilt no more than 2" apart. I wash them when they need it, too....
Old 04-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mainelynn2
It's a John Flynn quilting frame to use with your regular sewing machine. Go to Nancysnotions.com and in there search bar type in John Flynn and it will come up with his quilting frame.
Thanks, I just went and watched his demo...
http://www.flynnquilt.com/

It looks like a great alternative for those on tighter budgets. Very intriguing... and a well thought out design.

Don't watch the demo if you are sleepy, tho. His voice and background music are very soothing. I just came in from a 3 mile run, and had to fight closing my eyes!
Old 04-02-2011, 04:34 PM

My machine has 7 1/2 ". After I pin baste my quilts I roll from each side to the middle so it resembles a long hotdog bun. Then I quilt from the center, unrolling as I go. The last queen size I did I tried pinning the roll on the left side so it wouldn't unroll while I moved the quilt. Most of the quilts I do are queen size, so I'm getting better as I go. Trying more designs than just stictch in the ditch. (SID)
Old 04-02-2011, 05:02 PM

No you are not the only without a longarm.I have no desire to own and have no space for it either. I am first to admit the quilting done on the LAs is beautiful but I also think sometimes it detracts away from the actual piecing.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:02 PM

No you are not the only without a longarm.I have no desire to own and have no space for it either. I am first to admit the quilting done on the LAs is beautiful but I also think sometimes it detracts away from the actual piecing.