Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 301a - Does any one have this machine? >

Singer 301a - Does any one have this machine?

Singer 301a - Does any one have this machine?

Old 04-03-2011, 04:41 AM

Congrats, I bought one last fall and just love it.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:04 AM

I bought one on E-Bay last week...it was delivered Friday and has already been put to use. I just love it!!! Mine is a mocha short bed ; it came with attachments, 6 extra bobbins and the manual. There's not a scratch on it!! I only paid $76 for it so consider myself very lucky. The seller told me that she was really disappointed that it went so low...only 2 bids on it...but I assured her it had gone to a good home. Now I want to get the walking foot for it and a 1/4 foot...then I'll be a happy camper.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:38 AM

hi. i have a 301A my mother bought it for me in 1959. It came with a card table type table and sets down in it. It just sews forward and backword, i would hate to guess how many quilts i have peiced on it over the years. and no problem with it. I have a babylock esante and go back to the little work horse for piecing. i love it.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:44 AM

i just bid on one on ebay and it's up to 73.00 so im leaving it alone now as it has no cover, book and was taken out of a beautiful cabinet of which seller is selling seperatly from machine...sigh! I hear it is just a few lbs heavier than fw and a little stronger too.
FLASH NEWS....it went up from my 71 to 153.00 in 2 minutes!
Whoa!!
Old 04-03-2011, 08:55 AM

For all of you FW and 301 owners - don't be afraid to use it for heavy fabrics. They are work horses! I have used my FW to make many snowmobile seat covers. It sews that vinyl as nice as my good Janome. They can sew about anything. I have also put zippers in leather jackets with it.
Enjoy your new machine!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:16 AM

I have one!! Actually, I haven't used it a whole lot, but what I've done with it, it's worked just great. I'm glad I didn't wait for a Featherweight. This was much cheaper.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Moz

This is my second favorite machine. With the Singer Dressmaker 201 being my first. 3rd is the 221 of course, but the 301 is just a dream machine. I have mine in a cabinet as well, but nice thing is that they have that cute little trapezoid shaped case and the handle on top.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Moz

Have you all checked with any old sewing machine shops? I always suggest to people looking to buy a new machine that you can get a better deal that $400 for a new modern machine by asking for an old Singer 301 first :)
Old 04-03-2011, 04:17 PM

Congratulations on your recent 301 purchase. :thumbup: I'm a recent owner of one, too. I've had mine for a whole 8 days now, and am SO happy I found one. I'd heard so many wonderful things from others about this machine, I just had to have one for myself.

Unfortunately, my tan short bed came bone dry, so I'm in the process of restoring some life to her with oil and grease. There are about 4 different places you need to use either Singer Motor Lubricant or Tri Flow Grease instead of sewing machine oil once in a while (at least once a year, I've read). Two places are underneath the top plate on those two spiral gears, the other two are underneath the bottom of the machine; another gear and the motor pot, a little silver tube on the right side of your machine. A manual will point all these places out to you. You'll need a little syringe pump to get the grease in the motor pot.

I too, have heard great things about these 301's for our quilting needs. I just purchased a 1/4" foot and a walking foot for "Polly", and look forward to getting to use them on her.

Happy stitchin',

Edited to add:

Oops, I see you haven't purchased it yet, still considering. Sorry for the miscue.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:22 PM

If the price is right, grab this machine! I had one years ago, and didn't know what I had. A fast-talking salesmen talked me into trading it in on a new model. Well, I would kill to have that old 301a back! In case no one else on here has mentioned it yet, these were legendary for their ease of use and always-perfect stitches. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get another one if the opportunity came up.