Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A quilting issue I need help with >

A quilting issue I need help with

A quilting issue I need help with

Old 03-01-2009, 10:13 AM

When I'm ready to layer
1. I take each layer backing, batting, and top and safety pin on all 4 sides at the centers.
2. Then I put them on top of each other in the proper order for quilting and line up the center pins of all three layers(of course backing and batting will be larger) .
3. I find the very center of the top and put a safety pin in it through all the layers just marking where to start and also add pins about 12 " around from the center
4. Once I check to be sure it's smooth front and back I start quilting and this is not long arm quilting of course.

Look at my recent post and maybe that will give you a visual that makes more sense and I hope it helps.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/l...47.page#294115
Jan
Old 03-01-2009, 02:06 PM

I agree with using painters tape- it works well and we always seem to have some lying around!
Old 03-01-2009, 02:39 PM

I do mine on a table, forgot to say that. I guess the kayers hanging down also help smooth it out.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JANW
When I'm ready to layer
1. I take each layer backing, batting, and top and safety pin on all 4 sides at the centers.
2. Then I put them on top of each other in the proper order for quilting and line up the center pins of all three layers(of course backing and batting will be larger) .
3. I find the very center of the top and put a safety pin in it through all the layers just marking where to start and also add pins about 12 " around from the center
4. Once I check to be sure it's smooth front and back I start quilting and this is not long arm quilting of course.

Look at my recent post and maybe that will give you a visual that makes more sense and I hope it helps.

Starting to get the idea. gonna go check your link. i use pins to line up like that with gathers etc. never thought of this, but I've only made one full size quilt so far. ty, ty, ty. this sounds great to me already. :wink:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/l...47.page#294115
Jan
Old 03-02-2009, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

wow, jan that is one beautiful quilt and the pillow and heart ornament are sooo sweet. love pinks and yellows and looks a bit like coral?...love these color combinations. I made my youngest daughter an easter dress when she was ten that had pink roses on light yellow, and then made baby dress with pinafore out of same fabric for her first baby, for Easter. Both turned out very pretty and got good pics. Babies, sewing and pictures....ahhhh!!!!! :D