Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-04-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Elsie Blight
Can any one remember which page the green grass hopper machine was on
Thank you in anticipation
Elsie Blight
ps l saw one in a shop with no price it looked very interesting
l found at last my 222k and brought her home today
Elsie, you found a 222? Geeze, did you have to pay through your teeth for that little jewel? What a beauty!

What is the little sewing machine - a figurine? Very cute! The toy sewing machine is cute too!

Nancy
Old 04-04-2011, 04:56 AM

I have noticed that since I joined this group less than a year ago, the price on the machines, especially ebay, have really gone up. I have been watching for a good deal on a 15-91 and they have almost doubled. My problem is I dont have time to go out to the different resale shop. several times i am told they had one or a bunch last week. go figure. cant wait for the garage sales to start.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:00 AM

Lost train of thought! Elsie, you are a lucky ducky!! I have been "checking out" the 222. Seems there are not many of them out there. I wonder if they didn't make many, or if people just are keeping them. GREAT FIND!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
My new 301 :) . I paid $160 for it in the stand. It has 3 feet, the buttonholer, and an original manual that is in usable condition. And my husband put 2 new cords on her. The decals are worn,and I may have paid to much, but seems like the prices are not very cheap in this area. I did talk her down from $200.
You know, the price of vintage machines seems (to me at least) to be going up steadily. There are still bargains to be found for sure, but they are becoming fewer. When I first started collecting in earnest, Japanese class 15s were available in every thrift shop for $5 to $10. It's been a while since I've seen a nice one.

The thing is, if you're wanting a machine and you find it at a price you can afford, then celebrate your good luck. Someone else is going to find that machine at a fraction of the cost, and you will feel guilty about what you spent, but the fact is, they were in the right place at the right time. Chances are you would wait many years to get that particular model at a price you consider a steal. Get your machine cleaned up and running the way you want, and you will be so glad you spent that money!!

Great set-up, by the way. I love the way the 301 comes in and out of a cabinet. I have had a couple of them, and the ease of getting them out is worth at least $160!!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
My new 301 :) . I paid $160 for it in the stand. It has 3 feet, the buttonholer, and an original manual that is in usable condition. And my husband put 2 new cords on her. The decals are worn,and I may have paid to much, but seems like the prices are not very cheap in this area. I did talk her down from $200.
You know, the price of vintage machines seems (to me at least) to be going up steadily. There are still bargains to be found for sure, but they are becoming fewer. When I first started collecting in earnest, Japanese class 15s were available in every thrift shop for $5 to $10. It's been a while since I've seen a nice one.

The thing is, if you're wanting a machine and you find it at a price you can afford, then celebrate your good luck. Someone else is going to find that machine at a fraction of the cost, and you will feel guilty about what you spent, but the fact is, they were in the right place at the right time. Chances are you would wait many years to get that particular model at a price you consider a steal. Get your machine cleaned up and running the way you want, and you will be so glad you spent that money!!

Great set-up, by the way. I love the way the 301 comes in and out of a cabinet. I have had a couple of them, and the ease of getting them out is worth at least $160!!
Well said Miz Johnny :)
Old 04-04-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

You are SO right! That's why I didn't feel to totally bad about what I had spent :roll: And I kind of did score because she had another sewing desk that she wanted to get rid of that she sold me for $10 :mrgreen: My newer Brother wont bolt into it but she sits down in there nicely and I'm thinking my vintage Domestic will probably fit it just about perfect.

It was kind of cool getting my husband involved too!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:57 AM

Last week, I bought a Universal. It's a basic machine does forward and reverse. My question is: It came with both an up and down button (separate buttons) on it and I'm wondering what they are for? The lady who sold it to me used the machine for several years but had no idea what the buttons were for. So does anyone on here know their purpose?
Old 04-04-2011, 06:10 AM

My best guess would be that these buttons will drop and/or raise the feed dogs.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:10 AM

Could possibly be needle up or down? Try it, or feed dogs up or down?

Good Luck
Suzy
Old 04-04-2011, 06:36 AM

Darcene and Suzy; Hadn't thpiught of the feed dogs dropping. Just assumed they didn't. Will check it out later today when I can play. I'm working right now.
Chris