Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 301a - Does any one have this machine? >

Singer 301a - Does any one have this machine?

Singer 301a - Does any one have this machine?

Old 04-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Kas

This is a classic example of needing to read the entire post before commenting! I am glad you got your new baby! You will love her. I still think you could have gotten a better deal, but it came with the book (so did mine) and lots of other stuff and you NEEDED it! LOL! I can certainly relate to that. You will get your money's worth, of that there is no doubt. Enjoy!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:29 PM

I have a black 301a I got a couple of months ago. I have had to replace some things, like the cord and the foot control. But I LOVE how she sews....perfect straight stitch. Plus, she is light (16 pounds) enough to carry around for classes and guild meetings, so she is now my traveling partner. My other newer machines were too bulky and too many parts to have to pack up every time I wanted to go somewhere with a machine, and then have to put it all back again when I got home. My Miss Ida stays in her wheeled tote at home, and comes out to play at "away" sewing events.

I do love her. She is perfectly suited for piecing, and YES, her feed dogs will drop for FMQ, and you can get a FMQ/darning foot for that purpose. The 301a is a SLANT Needle machine, so be sure you get the right feet for her.

Also, I only paid $79 including shipping for this one.....don't pay over $100...you can get them all day long for that.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:50 AM

I have 4 Singer 301 machines. One of my machines is at mom's home; a soon to be 78 years young quilter.She needed a reliable machine, so away she went.But I want her back....sometime. Another machine went to my sister's home. She also needed a machine, the machine can go for a visit but needs to come back home when you find what you're looking for. My 3rd machine now is in it's suitcase waitng to go to retreats. #4 is my very favorite. Three of the four machines were $25.00 AND ONE PURCHASED AT A CHURCH RUMMAGE FOR $3.00. My favorite came home about 7 years ago, in the trunk of my small Honda.She is a 1950's blond cabinet model.Loaded drawers.Her plate has the 1/4 inch sewing seam engraved right on her.Dirty, greasy full of lint, my oh my, she was a sight to behold, but I saw the gem waiting to come out. I gently washed her down, gave her several drinks,spoke softly with encouragement and gently turned the wheel by hand.She purrs! I sewed many mission quilt tops that first year, using that old double knit material. Not a stitch was skipped [didn't use a ball point needle]. "GOD" BLESSED. I try to use her almost daily, she's always ready. Enjoy your new family member, Love her, and remember to say "Thank You".
'
Old 04-05-2011, 06:30 AM

I wonder whether anyone knows of a video where I can hear what a 301 should sound like. There are a number of youtube videos with 301s but the machines certainly don't all sound the same.

I'm working on cleaning up my first 301 and I don't have experience with older machines, so I'd be curious to know what I should be aiming for sound-wise.

still hoping for an Elna, too. I may become an addict at this rate!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by lkwon
I wonder whether anyone knows of a video where I can hear what a 301 should sound like. There are a number of youtube videos with 301s but the machines certainly don't all sound the same.

I'm working on cleaning up my first 301 and I don't have experience with older machines, so I'd be curious to know what I should be aiming for sound-wise.

Hi,

I just got my first 301a last week and came upon these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9GKp...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL6eP...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUlSC...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQnSW...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQRgW...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFTjH...eature=related

Hope these help you. Enjoy your new machine, I sure am!

:thumbup:
Old 04-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Kas

The first one sounds like mine. Just purrs! Some of those videos, I think the mics were not the best and made the machine sound harsh. You got me going deeper down the youtube hole as I watched commercials and zigzag attatchment videos!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:53 AM

thanks, Quiltgranny & Kas! I too found that some of the machines didn't sound right. I'll listen to the first one when I get home tonight & use that as a reference.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 AM

The first one sounds just like mine also!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by lkwon

A purr!
Old 10-03-2011, 03:03 AM

I too have just purchased a 301A for $25 had a worn wheel on bobbin winder. But the machine and case smell soooo bad
any ideas what to use on it? Someone mentioned removing oil something to bottom? or replacing it any ideas please is stinking up my whole house but whirrs beautifully