Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Method of whittling down your UFO's >

Method of whittling down your UFO's

Method of whittling down your UFO's

Old 04-02-2011, 04:31 AM

I have a zillion blocks made but I either run out of material to complete a quilt or I decide I don't like the blocks. I am tempted to just sew them all together throw it on my front porch swing and let people drive by, point and laugh.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:26 AM

I also enjoy piecing the tops, but for me, they don't really come alive until they are quilted. I often have several quilts on the go...at varying stages. That way if I feel like piecing, I piece. If today feels like a qulting day, I quilt.

Patti
Old 04-02-2011, 10:23 AM

I like the idea of the list of UFO's by the sewing machine. Only problem is, when I started to do UFO inventory, it became so overwhelming I didn't finish that either. Maybe will just make a small list of 5-10 UFO's, finish them, then make another list!
Old 04-02-2011, 10:28 AM

I sew the tops like mad and then tuck them into a couple of drawers of my sewing chest. Some had been in there like 2 years. If I really love a pattern I always make too many blocks, and yes they will start another top. I finished up a top yesterday and now have made and peiced 2 more. They were all twin size thou. I just like to stay busy.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I have the same problem, but I think my problem is because it's such a pain to try manhandling the quilt through the machine. Oh what I'd give for a long arm.
\

ME TOO!
Old 04-03-2011, 04:35 AM

For those who don't like the sandwiching part--I have a suggestion!
If you don't like to sandwich because you don't like getting on the floor (I understand, it hurts my knees too!), see if you can find someplace that will let you borrow some large tables. I use the tables in my library at school after the last bell rings--it only takes me about an hour to tape down and pin baste a twin quilt. For a donation to the local PTA a school librarian might let you use her tables! or contact your local library or community center. Having the quilt on several tables pushed together makes it so easy to sandwich.
Good luck!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:02 PM

I do a lot of teaching, so I'm always making quilt tops for samples - getting to them for quilting is becoming a real issue. I like the idea of listing them and marking them off. Thanks for that!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:02 PM

I do a lot of teaching, so I'm always making quilt tops for samples - getting to them for quilting is becoming a real issue. I like the idea of listing them and marking them off. Thanks for that!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:05 PM

Looks like a lot of us are in the same boat but we do have a few great ideas floating around in here.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:36 PM

Also found a great place to do this is in church meeting/conference rooms during the day. I always check to make sure nothing else is going on first - but there's usually lots of table to push together, privacy and quiet - the perfect setting for getting this kind of work done.