Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long did it take you to conquer 1/4" seams? >

How long did it take you to conquer 1/4" seams?

How long did it take you to conquer 1/4" seams?

Old 04-04-2011, 06:31 PM

I purchased a Sewing Gauge (Sewing Fence) from Sailrite when I purchased my
Sailrite machine some years ago. I also was having problems with the 1/4" allowance even after I bought a 1/4" foot. So my DH put the sewing gauge on my machine I use for quilting and made a 2" extension on the gauge and I no longer have any problems. It guides the material before the material gets to the foot so it is inline perfect. It works for me.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by milp04
Hi Dene,

Can you tell us what kind of sewing machine and foot that you're using? Can you provide a picture? Are you able to move your needle left and right? If you can that is a great help. It helps to consider sewing a scant 1/4 inch all the time. It really helps to have a 1/4 inch foot with the flange on it, worth every penny of it's cost.

You said you're not getting consistancy, have you asked yourself why? What are you doing different from piece to piece? Are you sewing too fast? Are you holding the fabric differently from one time to the next?

How are you preparing your fabric? Do you wash and iron it each time? Do you use sizing, starch or the new product Best Press? Do you sew and then press your seams before going onto the next? Do you set the sewn seam line before you open and press? Are you being consistent with every step from each time to the next?

However, I found with my 1/4 inch foot that I still needed to move my needle to help get the scant 1/4 sewing line so that my seams ended up being 1/4 inch.

I also have found a plastic open toe foot that has marking lines on it. I sewed sample seam lines until I knew exactly where to put my fabric edge and where the needle had to be to get the scant 1/4 inch. This foot was also worth every penny of it's cost. I like the open toe as you can see where the needle is going down into the fabric as you sew.

As someone else mentioned I have marked my sewing lines on some pieces depending on the pattern.

Pam M
Those plastic open toed foot(s) are fantastic! It holds well, and you can see where you are sewing.
I wore right through the one that came with my machine when it was new.
It helps if your machine tracks straight. ...and even better if it has a running speed adjustable guide/lever switch. It is harder to keep the seams even, roaring the pieces through as fast as your machine will go!
The idea is accuracy, not racing speed, even though you can do it. J
Old 04-04-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by elm
I just discovered something I probably should have known all along. If you iron, not press when setting your seams, you can distort the fabric. Maybe it's not your sewing, but your ironing.
This is a revelation for me...I think I have this problem! :roll: Never really paid attention to this and have been crazy with my seams since 1998! :lol:
Old 04-04-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by DeneK
I try -- I really try. But I cannot seem to get any consistency. There are a whole of of quilters here -- please tell me there is hope.

I have tried several 1/4" feet. Tried stacking the post-its. Tried marking my sewing machine bed.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes I just think it is working until I try to put together the pieces of the block and nothing fits.

Can you tell I am frustrated today?
Yes, I know the feeling... I have a friend who told me not to focus on the needle, focus on the little "ledge" of my 1/4 in. foot..... that really helped me improve my 1/4 in.... my foot is a jenome with a black 1/4 in. ledge to it .... it is wonderful!!!
;-)
Old 04-04-2011, 07:40 PM

My mother made quilts without all the problems of a "scant" 1/4 inch. Therein lies the problem. Seams used to be pressed open. Now we are pressing them to the "dark" side. IMHO, I think that all cotton thicknesses are not created equal! When pressing seams open they are more likely to be even when using the 1/4 in seam, especially if you use a presser foot with a guide on it. When pressing to one side due to the "thickness" of the cottons and if the seam is not exactly a "scant", you have a bump over 2 layers of material when pressed. Trying to figure out the "scant" has been trying but I am getting closer, I think? I recently read of a quilt designer/maker returning to the open-pressed seams because of all the problems with the "scant". I think a "scant" is in the "eye of the beholder".....just a thought... (sorry to be lengthy)
Old 04-04-2011, 09:35 PM

If you are having that much of a problem, as I often do,
here's one suggestion.

Start with the "test" method. Sew two 2.5" squares together, press to set your seam then press it open and measure your final product. It should measure 4.5" If it's not, adjust accordingly.

I haven't read through all the posts yet, so this might have already been mentioned, along with the all important PRESS, not IRON (moving iron back and forth).

Above all.........relax...check each block as you go along and BEFORE you sew it to another...as long as all your blocks are the same size all will turn out well. No kidding.

:lol: :thumbup:
Old 04-04-2011, 09:59 PM

My problem now is doing the 5/8" seams required for clothing patterns. I have to keep reminding my self that blouse, skirt, baby dress, etc. is NOT a quilt top!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:46 PM

I do what Paper Princess described before each new project. The thread and pressing really make a difference. Also, took me a while to press correctly. Can still goof that up depending on the quality of the fabric the pressing may stretch the block......
Old 04-05-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by quiltjoey
My mother made quilts without all the problems of a "scant" 1/4 inch. Therein lies the problem. Seams used to be pressed open. Now we are pressing them to the "dark" side. IMHO, I think that all cotton thicknesses are not created equal! When pressing seams open they are more likely to be even when using the 1/4 in seam, especially if you use a presser foot with a guide on it. When pressing to one side due to the "thickness" of the cottons and if the seam is not exactly a "scant", you have a bump over 2 layers of material when pressed. Trying to figure out the "scant" has been trying but I am getting closer, I think? I recently read of a quilt designer/maker returning to the open-pressed seams because of all the problems with the "scant". I think a "scant" is in the "eye of the beholder".....just a thought... (sorry to be lengthy)
Perhaps I am not understanding you, and if so, please forgive me. Aren't you going to have the 'bump' of two (actually 3) fabrics, regardless of whether your seam is a 'scant' one or not, when pressed to one side?
That said, I usually press to one side unless I have a need to press seams open.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:16 AM

I was a "clothes" sewer before a quilter and always pressed my seams open. But those seams were 5/8's. I tried pressing my quilting seams open, but have a difficult time with the smaller seam. End up either failing to get them completely open or burning myself with the iron. I'm going back to pressing to the side.