Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Prices Going Up....Again >

Fabric Prices Going Up....Again

Fabric Prices Going Up....Again

Old 04-05-2011, 04:48 AM

Fabric is certainly high enough here in Columbus, GA!! I needed one yard for binding a large quilt and I needed it yesterday because the quilt was being delivered on Wednesday. So off to the LQS I go, rather than JoAnns or Hancocks because I wanted a good quality. I picked by color and didn't check the price. I had just gotten some at the same shop a short while ago. Came to more than $12 with tax. What a shock.

I was telling my son about that experience and how that would affect future quilts. His answer was "You are just going to have to pass the cost on." That sounds logical, but people's incomes are going down, not up. It was his final remark that got me though. He told me "We just look at them as something to put on the bed, not something to cherish." What? I spend hundreds of dollars on each one!!
Old 04-05-2011, 04:51 AM

The shop I work in, wholesale prices are up another 65 cents a yard. Plus all rolls of batting that are shipped by UPS are now being tagged with a $50. oversize service charge. The sad thing is a roll of batt is about 14-16 lbs. So we take a day and drive to Airtex and get our batting, their 80/20 and 60/40 are wonderful.Plus we can keep prices down. It's crazy how much more do the manufactors think we can spend. It's greed like with the oil companies.
Brenda
Old 04-05-2011, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

I noticed even the poly patting is going up...must be because of shipping, ect.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:36 AM

My LQS charges $9.50 and if you belong to a guild anywhere at all you get 15 pct off. This month is April Shop Hop in Maine so the discount I believe is 20 pct instead of the guild disc.

She takes phone orders and has a website. If you are interested, PM me. I have no affiliation other than I like to shop there. This is a small shop just getting their feet on the ground with it.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:55 AM

It is really sad about the price increases. I can't afford a LQS any more. Most of my purchases are done online since I can find cheaper prices there. It probably means that the LQS will fade away. I hate to see that because I much prefer going to the shop to look at the fabric and touch and feel it before I buy.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:02 AM

Our LQS owner is getting ready to close her shop and move into a space with a sewing instruction shop down the way from her. She says she made more doing the on-the-road shows around the area in two months than she had in almost a year in the shop. So sad.....I have been getting to work for her for fabric on occasion, and I am afraid that is going to end when she moves. Oh well, I've been lucky to have had the opportunity and have gotten some really nice fabric for my stash. Most of my projects will be coming from my stash now. I can't afford the prices that are being charged for a yard of fabric. Soon we will be doing like our grandmothers and great grandmothers and cutting up our old clothing when it's worn out to feed our love for quilting.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:09 AM

I noticed in my LQS shop last week that older fabric had been marked up to the same prices that the new fabric is. I can understand the new fabric being higher but should they remark the old fabric to the same price as the new fabric? I don't think so!!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Isn't it up to the manufacturer as to how much the fabric sells for at a base price? If the shops want to make profit, they have to add to the wholesale price that they get the fabric yes?
I wonder how many shops that are not already online shops go online to make sales instead of closing. One local shop here where I live is online, but they do not ship fabric, etc.
trouble with that is then have to compete with over a million other online shops, many who are not B&M shops and have lower over heard, or they only sell end runs which they buy at flat fold bargain basement prices. Normally a LQS can not carry end runs because they are contracted to the Name brand companies and have to sell fabric at a certain price point!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gramarraine
I noticed in my LQS shop last week that older fabric had been marked up to the same prices that the new fabric is. I can understand the new fabric being higher but should they remark the old fabric to the same price as the new fabric? I don't think so!!!!
AMEN.....I noticed this back in Jan before the NEW fabric prices had even gone up! and online it is the same...I have shopped at http://www.stitch-n-frame.net for years...and suddenly her OLD bargain fabric that she has been trying to sell off for years is now the same price as the NEW fabrics used to be! What was $4yd just 3 months ago is now $8...what the heck is up with that????
Old 04-05-2011, 06:27 AM

So much has gone up and not just fabric. Everything is up in price and not much we can do about and just hope that the prices will stablelize. By pricing to high people will stop buying as much and they are only hurting themselves by keeping those prices high. What comes next....??????