Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
GETTING READY TO START MY FIRST QUILT! >

GETTING READY TO START MY FIRST QUILT!

GETTING READY TO START MY FIRST QUILT!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:53 AM

Welcome, newnana, Pamela, from St. Louis. Just caught this thread. You go girl! Sounds like you have things well in hand. April is coming, and you are ahead of the game!
Aren't these people great! Ask and someone will be able to help! :lol: Can't wait to see what it looks like now! :lol:
Old 02-26-2009, 01:01 AM

I havent been quilting that long myself but all of my quilts are done in squares. I think for your baby quilt I would use a 4 patch. This is where you take four squares two of each fabric and make them diagonal. I would recomend three inch squares or maybe four inch. Another pattern that is pretty easy is a 9 patch. Congrats on becoming a grandma. Dont forget to keep a few cloths for the baby. Also if you need more baby clothes dont forget the thrift stores. You would be amazed as to what you will find. Happy quilting. Hope some of this helps. Oh yeah you will love this site and welcome abord.

MissTami
Az
Old 02-27-2009, 07:51 PM

OK Ladies, Im ready to baste my quilt, I have my back fabric, batting and quiltop ready to layer , pin and baste. I have been trying to watch videos on Utube and I have seen either conflicting instruction or not enough to be sure. Do I lay backing face down , then batting , then is my qtop face up or down? I need it to be as simple as possible to me, Its my first quilt
Thanks!!
Old 02-27-2009, 08:24 PM

Newnana, you left the chat room before I found the site, I'll post it here for you. It gives step by step instructions for the self binding. If you want to do that.

http://www.whatididatschooltoday.com...ory_a_qui.html

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:31 PM

Thanks Quilty Kitty! I hand basted most of my quilt after leaving the chat room, I will try and finish basting tomorrow. ( It now sorta resembles and feels like a quilt!! :) very cozy feeling !
So I bought a new sewing machine ( Singer Simple) after I finish the basting. Should I practice on some scrap fabric? Any suggestions for how and which stitches to use on my little quilt?
I looked at the link you sent me and I assume that is my final step?
Just to finish the edges right? Thanks for that , very helpful!
Old 02-27-2009, 11:02 PM

Since you are new to this, I would use a straight stitch and do what we call stitch in the ditch. Stitching in the seamline. Definitely practice on scrap fabric.

Yes, the link I sent you is the final step. You might also want to put a label on the back.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:28 PM

How's the quilting going? Have you finished yet?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:19 PM

I realized that my new sewing machine does not include the quilters foot attachment so I hand basted the sandwich together and now I have to go buy the attachment before machine quilting I guess. :(
Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 PM

Well, hope you get the attachment soon. I know how anxious you are to finish this quilt. Good luck. Let us know when you finish and try to post a picture of it.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Power Poster

your quilt will be more durable if you machine "quilt" it, but you can also 'tie' it. It will be puffier, more like a comforter. I'm not good at directions, but thought I would mention it as a choice since April is not far off. Some of these other ladies are doing a good job at helping you.
You can always buy a foot for your machine, to use later on, but if you just want to get it done faster, you can tie quilt, then you won't be under so much pressure, timewise. I admire what your doing and it's going to be treasured. :D