Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any suggestions? >

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

Old 04-02-2011, 10:52 PM
lue

I don't have a longarm and unless I get the best deal of the century, I won't get one. I found a lady who quilts at a very reasonable price and she does my quilting for me. I don't even have room for a longarm in my craft space.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:02 AM

I'll never be able to afford a long arm. Leah Day's site -
http://www.daystyledesigns.com/quiltingsetup.htm - has a good article on domestic machine quilting.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by milp04
No, you're not alone with not being able to afford a long arm. Please check out the information and the videos at the following link by Leah Day:

http://daystyledesigns.com/articles.htm

Hope this helps someone.

Pam M
I was going to suggest the same, it's worked well for me. Start with a few smaller items and once you get the hang of it, go larger. :thumbup:
Old 04-03-2011, 07:02 PM

Ladies!! Wonderful news! You can build your own quilting frame and use your regular machine on the frame that can be moved any direction, 360 degrees! The plans are only around $20, and people have said that they have bought all the materials for the frame for under $200. I am just dreaming now, but hopefully I will actually build one of these one day!! I am a newbie, haven't even really made a single quilt -- but am working on a few!! Anyway, here is the website:
http://buildaquiltingframe.weebly.com/
I know that this is not the only one, but just thought I'd get you started! Good luck -- come back and post your thoughts about it! Thanks!!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

No long arm either and none in the future for now. I cram and push and shove the quilt through my machine. It doesn't look perfect and it is hard work but it is quilted.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by ruck9085
I have a Singer Quilting machine, which really is just a sewing machine with a ton of stitches and such. So, I read on here about y'all doing free motion quilting and machine quilting on your machines. Here's my question... Am I the only person left who not only does not own a long arm machine, but will never be able to afford one?
Okay, enough whining. My biggest problem is I hand quilt all my projects because I only make bed quilts. I've tried a few times to machine quilt, but it just doesn't work for me. For one thing the throat on my machine is like eight inches and I can not figure out how to roll up a queen sized quilt and stuff it into that small space. How on earth do you all quilt on your sewing machines?
I'm the same as you - do all my quilting by hand - I still do 'free motion' just don't have the hassle of stuffing it through the machine - as for a long arm not interested I LOVE HAND QUILTING :D and just think if there is a power cut you can still carry on (with battery operated lights) that is one benefit I can think of - must be more? :D
Old 04-05-2011, 06:35 PM

I don't have a long arm but I do have a brothers Nouvelle 1500S that has a 12 inch throat for quilting. I roll half of the quilt and quilt the other half. I purchased it from All Brands for about $700. I am saving up now to but the table and frame where all I have to do is move the maching and not the quilt. Check it out on line at All Brands.com

Before I bought my machine I would quilt as you go, it was to hard rolling the quilt to fit in a regular machine. I felt like I was in a wrestling match but I did finally get the quilt finished.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:07 AM

There is one thing I have tried. Make the quilt in sections and then sew it all together when each section (ie. a row, or a 1/4 ot the quilt) has been finished. I rolled my long quilts up tight and pinned them You can machine quilt a section at a time. So I hope this gives you some options. Best of Luck
Old 04-06-2011, 08:03 PM

I don't have a LA, and to be honest, I don't want one, though I guess I could afford it. I don't make enough quilts to justify the room or the expense. I quilt my quilts with my regular home machine in sections, now having fun learning free motion quilting
Old 04-22-2011, 04:16 AM

You are absolutely NOT the only one without a long arm!!!! I hope someday I can get one, but it won't be anytime soon!