Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Was I told wrong? >

Was I told wrong?

Was I told wrong?

Old 04-06-2011, 03:55 AM

I used to think what you do. I have been going to Day Style quilting and this blog http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/ Leah Day is super in teaching and also recommends not to get a stitch regulator on your home machine. Practice is what she recommmends and she has a beautiful teaching voice. She is designing 365 different FMQ patterns and you can find tutorials on all of them there. Have fun, I love that blog too.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:57 AM

FMQ can be done without a regulator. Drop the feed dogs and use your darning foot. PRACTICE - PRACTICE - PRACTICE
Old 04-06-2011, 03:57 AM

I've tried the stitch regulators at shops and just hate it. I cannot stand the variation in motor sounds. I just use my regular machine and love the relaxing sound of the machine running at a consistent speed. I may not get 100% even stitches, but I don't do quilting to win prizes or anything else. I do it because I love doing it and no one has ever turned down one of my quilts.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:06 AM

I do not have a stitch regular
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-180302.jpe
Views:	76
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	180308  
Old 04-06-2011, 04:19 AM

I am NO PRO but looked into buying a machine with a stitch regulator and tried it at the local shop, then came home and tried mine without and the SR is no magic tool...the stitch lengths can vary with it too. I think we sometimes forget...these are crafts or art made by humans and we humanly make variations. I think this is part of the craft or art.
That is why I do not have a machine that does die cuts. So guess you have to decide how human do you want your art to look. Even machines are not perfect. Happy stitching!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kat Sews
Not only do you not need a stitch regulator, you dont even need drop feed dogs. It is even possible to FMQ without a darning foot. "Can't" is a bad word at my house. No regulator=you become the regulator. Feed dogs don't drop=either cover them or set stitch lenght to 0. No darning foot, use the smallest or clear foot you have and release the pressure on the foot. There is always another way to do everything.
Girl after my own heart!!!! You go girl!!! :-D :lol:
Old 04-06-2011, 04:27 AM

I don't have one either my FMQ is improving all the time. Set your machine at a slower speed to begin with and learn to control your hands before you speed up your machine. You will be surprised when you practice. Sounds like she wants to sell you something or she don't know what she is talking about
Old 04-06-2011, 04:42 AM

of course you can FMQ on your regular machine, it just takes practice and patient, you need to get comfortable with the speed you need to sew at so that the stitches are even ( not easy but with practice, very do-able).

sit down, relax, speed up your stitches and practice.
you will do great.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:42 AM

After practice, you can regulate the length of your stitches to whatever you want. It has to do with the speed you have the machine running at and how quickly you move the quilt around.After a while you will get into the rhythm that you like. I always find that it is good to have a practice sandwich and play around on it for about 10 - 15 minutes before you start each session with your quilt. It loosens you up, gets you into rhythm and irons out tension or knotting problems with your machine. Best of all, don't let people talk you into buying junk that you don't need. The olden - day folk made magnificent quilts without all the fancy stuff and so can we.
Give it a go and I am sure you will be rewarded.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:03 AM

I went to a quilting expo at Nancy's Notions store in Wis. one year and took a class in FMQ. We got to use the Bernina with the regulator and because I was always a little intimidated by FMQ, almost got sold the machine. But I did get some very good advice that I still use today on my old machine - before you start quilting, get some paper out and draw what you want to quilt. Not careful and precise like a pattern, just smooth and flowing, sometimes not even looking at the paper. This puts a memory of the design in your brain and hand and helps me get a less "jerky" look.