Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Was I told wrong? >

Was I told wrong?

Was I told wrong?

Old 04-06-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by MrsM
I drop the feed dogs, I don't use a stitch regulator, and drop my tension to zero and go. But I am a beginer.
Me, too, except that I'm not a beginner. Practice, practice.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:57 AM

Sounds to me like she wants to make a sale badly enough to put her honesty on the back burner or she just doesn't know about quilting herself. Of course you can free motion quilt without a stitch regulator. I don't have a stitch regulator on my long arm and quilted free motion for years on a sewing machine without a stitch regulator. There's a ton of information to help you in these posts. Good luck, whatever you decide. :thumbup:
Old 04-06-2011, 06:58 AM

Also, you can practice with an unthreaded needle on pieces of paper. Draw a loopy design and trace it with the needle. Cheaper than using fabric and you can repeat the design as often as needed before actually sewing.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:58 AM

Love these responses! Excellent question and the wisdom of these folks mean I learn new things each day.

I'm just learning FMQ and for my small projects, I'm using my treadle!! LOTS of control with regulating stitches. LOL!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:01 AM

I don't have a regulator and I don't have any problems. Did she tell you to drop your feed dogs ? If not she was definately looking for a sale. Don't know if I would go back there! It also takes practice, don't get discourraged!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:02 AM

some really new and neat things happen when you don't know you can't. don't listen when someone tells you you can't. it just means they have tried and it has not worked for them. 8-)
Old 04-06-2011, 07:12 AM

I Have a stitch regulator and I hate the dang thing. I do better and enjoy it more without it
Old 04-06-2011, 07:33 AM

Don't believe that......it is not true!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by grandma pepsi
This is a FMQ question. I was told by a quilting teacher that I MUST have a 'stitch regulator' in order to do free motion quilting. (the teacher also owned a quilt shop that sold sewing machines). I could not afford a new machine, so I tried to FMQ on my regular machine. The stitches were extremely uneven and I lost interest in trying, believing she was right. Now I am reading posts on the quilting board about not dropping the feeddog. Was I told wrong? Is it possible to master FMQ on a regular machine without a stitch regulator. I am getting interested in trying again. Please give me your opinion.
You are NOT the first quilter that doesn't have a 'STICH REGULATOR', I now this comes as a SHOCK!!!! But we did NOT invent FMQing, the first quilters (grandmothers, greatgrandmothers, etc), found that with out fancy machines that they could do this. Not every one did quilting by hand, so one of our 'MOTHERS' took a look at her machine and said "WHY NOT?" So all you have to do is play with it a little more - Don't let people say NO!, just remember our mothers did it with a LOT LESS than we have now! Work on a sandwich that is no larger than a doll quilt size, so you can get the feel with out all the bulk. Sew Happy!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:59 AM

check out http://www.daystyledesigns.com/365project.htm leah has free designs and lots of tips on how to get started. you can google her name leah day and find her blog it is interesting reading for new and experienced quilters. I don't FM but enjoy seeing the process. cw