Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting EQ worth it? >

Getting EQ worth it?

Getting EQ worth it?

Old 04-06-2011, 07:41 PM

I have Mac computers. Is there a good designing software for the MAC? I read about something you can get to make EQ work, but it seemed too complicated. I would love to have a program that would help with planning projects and playing with fabric combinations. I am sold on Mac computers, though. No PC's for me.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by kimg
I have Mac computers. Is there a good designing software for the MAC?
Quilt Pro has a MAC version.
http://quiltpro.com/go.php?id=QP5_mainpage_Mac
You can run EQ on the MAC if you have an Intel processor, but you'd have to set up a Windows partition and buy a copy of Windows, which is, I believe, almost akin to heresy.

Originally Posted by kimg
I am sold on Mac computers, though. No PC's for me.
Yeah, yeah, I got that. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jilliane asked this question a few weeks ago on this thread (and received responses from many Mac users):
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-105223-1.htm
Old 04-06-2011, 09:32 PM

I, too, love my EQ. I have the EQ6 as couldn't justify the cost of the EQ7 at the time it went on sale. Darn.

I use it a lot for others as well as for myself. It is on my notebook so when I travel I can draw on paper any design I see and then later work it out in EQ and save it.

ali
Old 04-07-2011, 03:07 AM

You could also google 123Quilt version 2 online and start there. Then google quilt calculator and get a free one to help with the yardage.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:31 AM

I didn't get on very well with EQ6 but, since upgrading to EQ7, have found it fantastic, particularly its foundation piecing capabilities and ability to import and resize photos. It's worth every penny!
Old 04-07-2011, 03:48 AM

I just purchased EQ7 a few weeks ago. I am retired and on a budget, but I am an "Intermediate" level quilter. It comes with quite a number of designs and you can create your own and make it any size quilt that you would like. You don't have to calculate the yardage of material. You can use templates, rotary cutting and "paper-pieced" It gives directions and comes with a handbook. It is well worth it. I purchased mine at www.connectingthreads.com. I didn't have to pay shipping...so that helped.
I hope this information helped. It could be possible to create your own designs and sell them. That would help in getting your money back.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:03 AM

Well it sounds like I should unwrap my EQ7 and see if I can figure out how to use it. Why do we buy all this stuff and not even try it? I really think I'm certifiable!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:04 AM

I have EQ 7 and love it. I started with one of the lesser versions years ago. I didn't use it much, but when the time came to upgrade, I did just in case. I'm glad I did. Just so you know that if you buy a used version on eBay of say 5 or 6 I don't know if you can upgrade them. I think you have to be the first owner of the software to get the code to upgrade. I may be wrong here, but if you plan to do that, you might want to check into that.
It is well worth the money.
I still don't use it as much as I should, but I do use it for Round Robins all the time.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:11 AM

I HAVE THE EQ5,6,7.I DO THE BLOCK OF THE MONTH FOR OUR QUILT GUILD. I FIND A BLOCK I LIKE, CHANGE IT UP A LITTLE TO MAKE IT EASY TO USE SO THE NEW QUILTERS AND THE MORE EXPERENCED QUILTER CAN DO IT.ITS A GREAT PROGRAM.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:17 AM

Just an FYI...Joanns coupons rarely apply to software. But you will love EQ, regardless of the version you get. I'm working now on a TREE OF LIFE pattern with a cross quilting design. I'm able to get it all planned on the computer and then when (or if) I have to purchase extra fabric, I don't have to overspend on that. And it's true that you can spend just as many hours on EQ as any game and have much prettier results. EQ has an agreement with their retailers about not cutting the price. It keeps the playing field level for all who offer the program for retail sale.