Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting EQ worth it? >

Getting EQ worth it?

Getting EQ worth it?

Old 04-07-2011, 06:24 AM

If you like to design your own quilts, or just want to put another quilt design in to be able to enlarge it to a larger size, you can't beat EQ7. EQ6 would work for most quilters, but the hardcore designers need EQ7.

In other areas, such as embroidery digitizing, with the exception of Embird, $160 is jsut a down payment.

If you just want to try it out to see if you like it, and have someone to teach you the basics, EQ6 is great.

Lanny
Old 04-07-2011, 06:30 AM

I have EQ7 and love it. I have gone on line for a fabric I like that our LQS has and put it in EQ7 and then I can design a quilt any kind of quilt. I am now doing a log cabin with some fabric and am going to go to my LQS and get the material I need. It is a fantastic tool. Once you get the hang of it - it is wonderful. It is not hard to use and there are times I have a brain freeze but I love it.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:32 AM

If you get EQ7 and have questions as to how to do something if you call EQ Penny McMorris is very helpful in helping you through the steps.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I bought EQ and have hardly used it. However I have not tried designing my own patterns, yet. I do plan on spending some time here this summer figuring out how to actually really use the program
It sounds like you like to design you own patterns and it may be just the thing you need.
This is exactly what I would say. There are some groups in my area that meet monthly. I'm thinking of joining one.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:41 AM

Thank you for those links. I have been wanting to visit the first shop for a month now (an hour away) so i think it's the time now :)
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
YES!! Love it play with it all the time. Here's 2 places for $169.00. I know its a lot of money, but even if you find eq6 and then upgrade to 7 it'll cost you more.

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/tacony-eq7.php

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp25482.html
Old 04-07-2011, 06:46 AM

I have EQ 6 and found it has a learn curve, but once you figure it out, it's great.
I see them all the time for sale at
[email protected]
Old 04-07-2011, 06:46 AM

I have the same issues you do with figuring yardage, size of blocks etc. I went to the Quilt Design Wizard website and love what I saw. It is $29.95! I have been very frustrated and have gotten some help from LQS and my husband but I would prefer doing it on my own. I also love the idea of seeing the finished product on paper BEFORE buying and cutting the fabric. I am not a professional but enjoy making quilts for family and friends and just can't jutify the EQ price. Thanks for asking this question.
Liz
Old 04-07-2011, 06:53 AM

I think it is. I bought mine from Amazon for 119.00. No shipping charges. Mine is a EQ 6. Have fun.

Pat Thompson
Old 04-07-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by cattailsquilts
I LOVE EQ. I use it all the time to keep track of my inspirations. I haven't come close to using all the capabilities of the program, either, but I think it's well worth every penny I spent on it (EQ6 then upgraded to 7).

My only complaint (and this is user error) is that I cannot get my scanned fabrics to be the correct scale in the program. Eventually I'll get it figured out, but for most of what I'm doing right now, scale is not a huge factor.
Don't know if this is what you are talking about but I have EQ and when I scan I change the output resolution (ppi). On my scanner the smallest I can go is 75ppi. The EQ manuel says to change to 50ppi. however it works for me at 75.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:03 AM

I was lucky enough to find EQ5 at a yard sale for $5. I literally ran back to my car after I paid for the software and drove home. I haven't been disappointed since. I've even designed some really cool scrappy quilts using just equilateral triangles.