Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color? >

Color?

Color?

Old 04-07-2011, 04:01 PM

Just from what you say, I'm guessing that the problem is not so much color, but color value. CraftyBear posted a link to an article about using color value in your quilts today. See Color Wheel Basics http://quilting.about.com/od/colorfa...lor_quilts.htm
and Using Color Value in your Quilts http://quilting.about.com/od/colorfa...olor_value.htm

Color value makes all the difference.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:06 PM

One technique is to throw out any preconcieved ideas of what colors "go" together and what looks good with what and just pick what YOU like together.. listen to that inner voice it will tell you when something is "ok" or "amazing". If I pick fabrics that are "ok" together I put them down for a while and then come back and try other combinations until I find something that really speaks to me (not literally of course) :-)
Old 04-07-2011, 04:08 PM

Wow! I am so happy to know I am not he only color challenged person out there, most of my quilts have 2 0r three colors because of this, I am learning to pick a print fabric then choosing fabrice that blend with that
Old 04-07-2011, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Here's a site that's fun to play with:

http://colorschemedesigner.com/
Thanks for sharing that. It's great fun.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:43 PM

Lots of great information has already been mentioned here. One other piece of advice: I read somewhere not to be afraid to add some colors that you don't feel safe with, such as cheddar yellow, gastrointestinal tract green, chili pepper red, etc.

I have a quilting friend who routinely chides me because I generally shy away from buying a "matchy, matchy" line of coordinating fabrics. I'm always on the look-out for something a little more out of line with normal. When we shop together or sew together, she looks at my fabrics and shakes her head in doubt, then when the quilt is done she shakes her head in amazement at how beautiful it is (her words not mine).

Go with your gut about what you like, then add a little adventure!
Old 04-07-2011, 08:47 PM

What helped me the most, when I was starting, was going to quilt shows, I would really pay attention to the quilts that I loved, and the quilts that I didn't love. I tried to figure out what made the great ones, great. The more you look, the better you will get.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:27 PM

It's a matter of practice and personal perference. Try something new and colorful outside your comfort zone and see what you come up with.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:10 AM

I have decided that there a 2 kinds of color combination for quilts. One is coordinated colors that blend very well together but nothing pops. You can use the dots on the salavage of fabric to find these colors. Other kind is one that does not blend so much but uses colors and patterns that take off from focus fabric. These quilts have colors "pop". Different patterns may be better for either type. Or you may be a quilter that likes more color coordinated quilts. (I am). There are no quilt police here.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:23 AM

Use the color wheel for inspiration. There are basic theories that apply to color.

Do a search for color wheel, winipedia has a good explanation.
once you learn the basic prinicpals it will become easier to select colors.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:43 AM

Mostly I go into the fabric store, find one print I like and then find others that go well with it. That method involves a lot of picking up, putting down, standing back and squinting. If the blocks at the end look a little off, a contrasting border has always set things right.
Something nobody else mentioned is that before you go to the fabric store, print out a whole bunch of of your block pattern, find that big box of crayons and work out different color combinations on paper in order to get an idea of what to shoot for.