Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Afghan women are coming to quilt! >

Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:18 AM

This is so exciting, and we'll all be thrilled to hear how it went. I've had 5 kids there (2 sons-in-law), so it makes it even more interesting to hear about. Keep us posted!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:30 AM

This sounds like a true example of Paying It Forward. And the potential impact is unmeasurable. If you can use any supplies, pls pm me!
I know you'll be busy, but pls keep us posted from time to time.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:36 AM

People love to share their ideas and culture. Ask them to bring in handcrafted items for show and tell. This will help you get ideas. If quilters are not fluent in English and have an idea, you could have them draw pictures.

Let them know you are not familiar with their culture and customs and to teach you about them...especially about the icons one cannot copy or designs that are not appropriate for the type of project you are creating and its intended use.

This is a prefect opportunity for you and the Afghan quilters to learn about language and culture.

Have fun with it!

--------------------------------------

P.S. Ask around you may find an ESL (English as a Second Language) or EFL (English as a Foreign Language) teacher who is a quilter and may offer to teach English classes....or a teacher who is willing to barter.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:44 AM

This is such a fantastic thing you are doing & you should be very proud of it. Please keep us informed of your progress and your experiences you have with these ladies.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:57 AM

[quote=Dandish]That is very wonderful and interesting! In that part of the world (I don't know about Afghanistan in particular) they have a long rich history of a wonderful cross-stitch type of work called "tatreez" in arabic. Some of it is stunning. It is often times uniquely stylized in each particular village/region, much in the same fashion as the amish in certain areas use only certain colors and/or patterns...quote]

I agree with all the sentiments expressed regarding the potential fun and enlightment you will be sure to have. A thought I had when reading the various posts: You didn't mention if these guests have any prior 'needle' experience. If you don't know, please make sure you don't assume that they know nothing of sewing techniques. This would be disrespectful. They quite possibly have very good needle skills. I've known people who assume that persons of another culture don't know 'squat' about the things they are sharing, when in fact the other culture was far more advanced in skill.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:58 AM

Acceptance, kindness and love have no barriers. Proud of you for what your doing. Blessings!!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:15 AM

Tell them about the history of quilting as a way of women bonding and sharing thier lives. Get everyone working soon and make use of the woman who can translate. Great project.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:25 AM

Oh My Gosh! This is a wonderful thing you are doing...... I so wish I could be a part of it. You are so fortunate to be able to share such precious time with these women. It will be such a growing experience for all of you! Please keep us posted as to how it is going.
I am so anxious to hear more reports from you.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:29 AM

Well, they have no cribs, but you're making baby quilts! This is sooo good.

We all love our children, wherever we live, whatever language we speak. Concentrating on what we have in common rather than what separates us--this is the way to peaceful coexistence. Bless you and your new endeavor.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:46 AM

I just finished ready a book called "The Dressmaker". In her true story of starting a business for women to help support their families. She mentioned that they wear and use beading. You may see if the women have skills like beading for crazy patch quilts. I would use fabric and patterns that are unique to
them.

Most of all just enjoy them. I wish I could join the circle. Please give us a report on your get together.