Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Easter Mug Rug >

Easter Mug Rug

Easter Mug Rug

Old 04-08-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dar-midlife
Originally Posted by RkayD
I've never heard of fabric medium....? I Love all the things I can learn. =) Your Mug Rug is adorable!
What is the purpose of putting a "fabric medium" over it? What happens if one doesn't use a fabric medium? AND what else is it good for or used for/with? Thanks--that's a lot of questions!
The purpose of the fabric medium is to set the colors and I also believe make it washable. Don't quote me on the last part though. I know one person said that she had used fabric medium when she had helped color/paint a couch. This was my first time using it so perhaps others could answer that better than I. This technique has also been used (colorque') to do whole quilts that way so the ideas are really endless.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:31 PM

So would ironing do the same thing--set it? How about putting the same fabric medium then on labels that one has made on an ink jet printer? Would that help them to be longer lasting through washings?

Your mug mat is really cool BTW! I'm thinking I should make some sort of candle mat or runner using this method to try. Sounds so fun.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:36 PM

What a beautiful piece.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:36 PM

What a beautiful piece.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:39 PM

So would ironing do the same thing--set it? How about putting the same fabric medium then on labels that one has made on an ink jet printer? Would that help them to be longer lasting through washings?
Not sure on ironing. Haven't been quilting that long to be able to answer that. I don't see why you couldn't put it on your labels. It does make them a little stiffer but not too bad and if it helps them through the washings it might be worth it. You'd have to experiment with that. Hadn't thought about that. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
Thought I'd do a mug rug with an Easter theme. I haven't made that many before but I like how this one turned out.
Hey Bonni, Your mug rug is Beautiful, I love it!
Hug's Shawn :mrgreen:
Old 04-08-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ms. Shawn
Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
Thought I'd do a mug rug with an Easter theme. I haven't made that many before but I like how this one turned out.
Hey Bonni, Your mug rug is Beautiful, I love it!
Hug's Shawn :mrgreen:
Thanks Shawn. BTW, I am using that pin cushion you sent me almost every day. It was right by my side when I pinned this project. :)
Old 04-08-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by RkayD
I've never heard of fabric medium....? I Love all the things I can learn. =) Your Mug Rug is adorable!
What is the purpose of putting a "fabric medium" over it? What happens if one doesn't use a fabric medium? AND what else is it good for or used for/with? Thanks--that's a lot of questions!
To answer your questions - the fabic medium does set the colors and make it absorb into the fabric. I'm not sure on this item as I've never used it with colored pencils but It seems to have given them a water paint look.
I've also mixed in alittle and used with acrylic paints to paint on sweatshirts to help set the colors. On them we then ironed after it was dry as well.
Like Bonni said I even used this medium to paint a friends floral sofa when she wanted to add more color to it. The medium helped the paint absorb and made it alittle softer feel than if we had just used acrylic paint.
It can be purchase anywhere you find acrylic craft paints and is found in with the colors in the same size type of bottle as the paints. It is not very expensive and last a long time since you don't need to use much.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:24 PM

how cute!
Old 04-08-2011, 01:42 PM

Thanks for educating me on this "stuff"!