Stocking Up

Old 04-02-2011, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

I am really enjoying this thread. Another thing I do stock up on is just all the basic cleaning items. I buy extra bleach, amonia, vinegar,baking soda, bar soap and shampoo. I never buy expensive cleaners....and they all are multitask items. In a pinch, shampoo can be laundry soap, baking soda is toothpaste, deoderizer, cleaner, laundry booster...oh and rubbing alchol too. Cleanens mirrors, gets out blood stainsfrom stuff, disinfects wounds!
Old 04-02-2011, 05:17 AM

Remember, it wasn't raining when Noah built the ark. "If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear."
Old 04-02-2011, 07:30 AM

We have a large supply of food items that we have stored for a long time. We rotate these items by using them and then replenishing the supply. When we grocery shop we buy almost everything by the case and then when that case is nearly gone buy another case. We also store large amounts of dryed items such as wheat, rice and beans. These items will stay good for many years. We grow a garden each year and I have relearned how to bottle the things we grow. We have a generator and have it set up so we can turn all of our power in the house off and totally us the generator. It is very nice when we have a power outage. We do try and keep it full of gas and ready to go at a moments notice. I know we don't have everything we need for a disaster but I feel we are getting more prepared all the time. We have heard the warnings and know the time will come when we will be glad for what we have. We don't have a grocery store where we live and the closest one is 5 miles away. Not a long way but if we should have an earth quake we probably wouldn't be able to get there. It is comforting to know we could survive for a while with the things we have stored.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:05 PM

I have had to throw away some canned food because the cans were ready to burst. Expired years ago. With just 2 people I try to use things up but there's only so much you can use. I do have 2 small freezers and I want to plant a garden this summer because produce is so expensive. If it costs $200 to have a 200' X 200' garden plowed up (can't do with tiller due to health issues) is it worth it?? We have tried planting tomatoes in the special garden containers but not much luck.

I am trying to buy only American made for 30 days - try it -amazing!!
Old 04-03-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by gramarraine
We have a large supply of food items that we have stored for a long time. We rotate these items by using them and then replenishing the supply. When we grocery shop we buy almost everything by the case and then when that case is nearly gone buy another case. We also store large amounts of dryed items such as wheat, rice and beans. These items will stay good for many years. We grow a garden each year and I have relearned how to bottle the things we grow. We have a generator and have it set up so we can turn all of our power in the house off and totally us the generator. It is very nice when we have a power outage. We do try and keep it full of gas and ready to go at a moments notice. I know we don't have everything we need for a disaster but I feel we are getting more prepared all the time. We have heard the warnings and know the time will come when we will be glad for what we have. We don't have a grocery store where we live and the closest one is 5 miles away. Not a long way but if we should have an earth quake we probably wouldn't be able to get there. It is comforting to know we could survive for a while with the things we have stored.
We had a hurricane a few years back. We live in the city limits and still had no power for 8 days. We have a gas hot water tank and a gas grill. Our shower was open to anyone that wanted to use it. Everyday our street had a cookout we used up everything in our frigs. then the freezers. We came together and helped each other. If we got word that ice was available we shared with each other. We cut the trees off the street & helped put tarps on the roofs of our homes. Never underestimate your neighbors and friends in a time of need.
Look at Japan the people are helping each other - not waiting for handouts. Japan will be up & running long before New Orleans was.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ms Elaine Va
I have had to throw away some canned food because the cans were ready to burst. Expired years ago. With just 2 people I try to use things up but there's only so much you can use. I do have 2 small freezers and I want to plant a garden this summer because produce is so expensive. If it costs $200 to have a 200' X 200' garden plowed up (can't do with tiller due to health issues) is it worth it?? We have tried planting tomatoes in the special garden containers but not much luck.

Start small, add a little at a time. Check into no-till gardening. There are alternative forms of gardening available. Check on line. There is something called Lasagna Gardening. Don't start too big, you will wear yourself out and get discouraged. You should enjoy it as well as being productive. The garden I am starting this year will use concrete blocks to build a raised garden so I can sit on the edge to weed and plant. I am 64 single and unable to work on my knees (thanks to a 17 year old driver who decided I was in his way in a crosswalk), but I have gardened all my life and will continue to do so. This year I will take my time and build a little each day. The point is to start by finding a method that works for you and add to it.
Before long you will have a 200 x 200 ft. garden.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:06 AM
Swap Hosts

Aurora, what great encouragement! You're right. Doing it a little at a time is what turns into a lot done altogether. I have an area along my driveway that is no good for planting, so I've put 5 gallon tubs along there - staggered with the back row up on milk crates. These get planted with tomatoes - and my pantry is full of sauce.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Aurora
Originally Posted by Ms Elaine Va

Start small, add a little at a time. Check into no-till gardening. There are alternative forms of gardening available. Check on line. There is something called Lasagna Gardening. Don't start too big, you will wear yourself out and get discouraged. You should enjoy it as well as being productive. The garden I am starting this year will use concrete blocks to build a raised garden so I can sit on the edge to weed and plant. I am 64 single and unable to work on my knees (thanks to a 17 year old driver who decided I was in his way in a crosswalk), but I have gardened all my life and will continue to do so. This year I will take my time and build a little each day. The point is to start by finding a method that works for you and add to it.
Before long you will have a 200 x 200 ft. garden.
Great idea. I have had 4 back surgeries so bending is not a good idea for me either. Do you have a problem with deer? We have a herd of about 30 since a mall was built near us. The deer go to the river at night and eat hostas and plants on their way. I like to see the deer but they can do alot of damage.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:14 AM

I was told by the previous owner that there were lots of deer. In the beginning I saw evidence of bedding locations. I have only seen three or four deer over the years. But one year when there wasn't much rain and the pond was low, I found deer tracks around the pond. I have not been living there until last summer, I spent several months getting it ready to move permanently. I will be moving there in the next few weeks and hope to get my cabin winterized and the raised garden beds mostly built and a couple of cold frames ready before fall.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
We are stocking up and trying to become more self sufficient. :?
Exactly!

Becoming more self sufficient is the key. A person can only stock up so much and that sooner or later runs out. In being self sufficient, you can replace your own food supply as you use it.

Not saying that stocking up is bad, but also have a contingency plan. If you live in town, make friends with people that you would be able to barter with. Also determine what it is that you might use to barter with, be it skills or craftmanship. Then hone in that skill so you have the resources when you need them.

And remember God helps those that help themselves!