Who likes to garden

Old 04-09-2011, 03:46 AM

I love to garden but am afraid this year the stink bugs will be inflicting major damage to the crops. Still going to try but not going to put in the big garden I usually do. newly picked toms, lettuce and cucs are just so good. will have to do alot of bug picking this year.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:52 AM

We just bought a tiller and got the ground ready we have 2.5 acres. Thought we would try gardening my DH may retire in June . We will see if we can grow any thing.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:59 AM

I love to garden it isn't big. Put in seed potatoes not long ago.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:10 AM

I grew up tending huge gardens and have always had them in every state we've lived in. Had to learn what would grow where with different soils, climates, etc. I always start my plants inside and never buy the expensive gismos. I roll my own pots from newspaper and use egg cartons and cans, mix soil and perlite, save boxes and plastic bags for greenhouses, hang a shop lamp over the seedlings for light and warmth, and enjoy it greatly when its cold outside. Then I can't wait for spring planting time. DH tills up about an acre in a lower field for me. Toward the road we plant sunflowers all along, then pumpkins and squash and then beans, tomaotes, peppers, etc. Corn just seems to invite all the racoons in the county despite a fence and dogs. One year the broccoli was just about perfect so I left it overnight and the next morning it was gone! Some hungry animals has harvested it off like a lawn mower. Still for this old farm girl there is nothing like digging in the dirt, watching the flowers and veggies grow, canning and freezing the goodies, sharing with others, and enjoying the beauty. I read where gardening helps troubled teens and stops violence. I really believe if everyone grew a garden our world would be more peaceful. :)
Old 04-09-2011, 04:14 AM

I love seed starting, but am too lazy to take care of the plants. So I start the seeds and give the seedlings away. I enjoy the flowers in other peoples' yards knowing I had a hand in getting them started. I also have a butterfly garden and natives that take care of themselves.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:15 AM

I had a nice raised garden until the deer took over in our area and there is NOTHING that will keep them out of one. I am only doing tomatoes this year close to the house. I did plant some peas that are starting to come up. I am interested in one of those "potato bags" Is it like the upside down tomatoe ones?
Old 04-09-2011, 04:36 AM

I love gardening but I just grow flowers. My spring plants are just sprouting now. Can't wait till they bloom!
Old 04-09-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jshep
With high prices of vegetables, have you noticed how many more people are turning to gardening? I have a friend who is helping me put in a big garden this year. I have became very health conscience and this will not only give me lots of fresh vegetables, I will also get exercise which I desparately need. I really get a thrill out of watching things grow. Last year I started learning about canning and freezing.
I used to garden all the time but this last year we have been having quite a few deer and they just loved my garden. So, this year I decided that I am not going to feed them so no gardening this year for me, vegetable or flower because they seem to nibble on both
Old 04-09-2011, 05:27 AM

I'm a gardener and when I had a large yard, I did the 'mounds, or raised bed gardens' for veggies. I now live in a townhouse and have a natural scape garden, and plant some veggies here & there in between shrubs, etc. And I do the patio pots with herbs & tomatoes. Nothing better than fresh veggies & herbs!
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 04-09-2011, 05:30 AM

We also keep very large gardens! I love it! I try very hard to either eat local or grow my own. We also can and freeze. My hubby and I are close to starting an edible landscaping business together...it's really exciting. Along with chickens, we hope to start keeping bees.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-181643.jpe
Views:	44
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	181649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-181644.jpe
Views:	44
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	181650