Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where can I find this quilting tool? >

Where can I find this quilting tool?

Where can I find this quilting tool?

Old 04-09-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by pamesue
Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
Originally Posted by missmabeliowa
I bought this when it was 50% off at Hancock Fabrics. Now I'm not sure how to use it and can't find a tutorial for it. Does anybody know where the tutorial is located? Am really anxious to try it out.
Here it is--
http://www.junetailor.com/videos.htm
Wow..thanks, I have had this ruler for sometime and have never used it...but after watching the video I will...thanks again.
I have had this ruler for years and only cut strips with it. Can't believe how much I just learned from one video. THANK YOU SO MUCH
Old 04-09-2011, 04:05 PM

Found mine at Wal-Mart. Our JoAnns also carry them. Good luck!!!!!
Old 04-09-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by glenda5253
I saw the same show spiffy is talking about and I too liked that ruler she was using. It was not the JT Shape Cut or the Shape Cut Pro. It was a square---looked to be at least 20 X 20 and only had the 2 1/2 inch slits. I thought it would be really neat since you cut so many 2 1/2 strips but haven't been able to find that particular ruler either. Must not be made any more. :cry:
You can still buy this glenda at Joann Fabrics Online and you can see it here
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...ID=xprd1130652
Old 04-09-2011, 04:31 PM

Yes, Joann's has them.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by livenlearn124
they sell one very similar at our wal-mart, but it has slots every half inch, I think it's June Taylors
I have one of these but it is only 12 inch square. I would like a bigger one.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by spiffy
I was just watching Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day program. She was putting together her American Barns quilt with a checkerboard border. She was using a wonderful strip quilting tool that I love. I've spent a lot of time online looking for it, but can't find it anywhere.

It was a large sheet with slots 2 1/2 inches apart. You could cut accurate 2 1/2 in strips in just seconds with this ruler, template, cutting tool or whatever it's called. It looked like the measurements were 24x24.

I found something similar on the Quilt in Day website:
http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...lay.asp?i=1884
but I know what Eleanor used was larger because she folded her fabric in half and was able to cut the entire length of fabric and it was also square.

While I was looking I also found this great resource:
http://www.softexpressions.com/softw...ndexRulers.php

I hope someone knows where to find this because it would certainly save a lot of time while ensuring accuracy. Thanks for any help you can give me.
I have a new June Taylor 12" strip ruler,,I needed to cut a bunch of nickle squares...I did not like it at all! My cutter got stuck in it. It is too tight.
Anybody have advice?
Anybody want to swap black and white print fat qtrs, for it?
Jeannie
Old 04-09-2011, 08:03 PM

Thanks everyone for responding to my delima. I now have some good ideas. I will keepyou posted on whether I master this cut or not.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:12 PM

Got one at JoAnn's last year with 50% off coupon!
I LOVE IT!!!
Was a little bit timid to use it at first...NOW wouldn't be without it!!!
Old 04-09-2011, 09:21 PM

I just came back from Joann's & my store in calif has the long one on clearance for 75% off today. If Joann's won't be carrying some of them they may be clearancing (sp?) elsewhere as well. I noticed only the long ones were on clearance, it was about 8" x 24"; & it's no longer shown on the JT website. When I saw it @ the store, I noticed the slots were only about 18" long of the full 24" ruler, so perhaps since it will not cut Width of fabric (WOF)in one pass, they weren't popular. It was 75% off. For those who think they might like to give it a try, this might be a good start. Also, I think Joann's would let you return any of their rulers within 60 days if you don't like it; you could ask first.

Another review of these tools, where she suggests the best rotary cutter was the Fiskars 28mm for success with the slots. http://www.quiltersreview.com/articl...t/010709_a.asp

I forgot to mention you DO really need to be cutting straight upright not leaning off to one side with your rotary blade.

Someone else posted the JT website for video demos & you can also search in general & find others on youtube too. There are always creative people out there that will think of new ways to use tools, that even the mfr. never thought of.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Power Poster

I have the 12" x 12" , cuts in 1/2" increments, I wish I had a bigger one. All I found at the time.