Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric shrank-- before my eyes! >

Fabric shrank-- before my eyes!

Fabric shrank-- before my eyes!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:39 AM

I am a dedicated member of the pre-wash group to avoid this. So sorry it happened to you but at least you caught it early.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:30 AM

The only fabrics that I could actually see "shrink" before my very eyes was cheap cotton that you could actually see the warp and weft... AND a blend which I didn't think was a blend until I "smelled" it while ironing it in a finished block; the heat from the iron shrunk it!

I now wash all fabric in warm to hot water (for shrinkage &/or removing dyestuffs) and don't worry later on. A pound of prevention....
Old 04-10-2011, 10:48 AM

Shrinking is not complaint-worthy. If you've never experienced fabric shrinking, you've ben very lucky- especially if you don't pre-wash before a project, which it sounds like in this project you didn't. I expect 100% cotton fabric will shrink, so if you don't have a chance to prewash before a class, steam and try to shrink a bit before you cut anything.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:51 AM

i always steam press my fabrics before putting them away. i don't prewash, just steam it really well. it is damp when i am done. never had any problems with shrinking.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:20 PM

I always prewash fabric, any coming into my house, as I sometimes find awesome cottons at yard sales. I did learn a lesson recently from fabric purchased at a big-name store--never buy fabric on which the manufacturer is ashamed to print their name. This fabric, sewn into blocks with good quality fabrics, stretched while sewing. It was for a charity lap robe, so not a big deal, but would have been if a gift or cherished quilt pattern.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I had a same experience. I went back to the quilt shop and read the bolt end. Sure enough....it had a high percent poly and the heat from the iron shrank it. I adjusted my seams to compensate for the 1/4 inch loss and finished the top. I have yet to quilt it. Guess this one will stay here....the dogs will appreciate it.
They sell cotton/poly at the LQS?????? Now I have to go burn test every fabric I have bought at LQS. I had no idea they sold any poly. I thought they just had high quality cotton! Well, I guess I have yet again proved the 'assume' theory! Dang! :oops:
Old 04-10-2011, 12:47 PM

ALL cotton shrinks! It makes no difference if it's fabric, clothing, curtains, etc. It may not always shrink both ways but it will shrink. Batting with cotton will also shrink. I remember when poly/cotton fabric first came out, we were so happy about no more shrinkage and a lot less ironing. Now we find ourselves going back to the old ways of 100% cotton.
Brenda
Old 04-10-2011, 12:54 PM

What do you with jelly rolls that can't be prewashed? Do you starch and press them or just use as they are?
Old 04-10-2011, 01:12 PM

Hancock's Cotton Loft is all 100% Cotton except for the broadcloth which is a poly/cotton blend. If an LQS has cotton/poly blend without it being in at least a specified area for such, go somewhere else!
Old 04-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

I also thought all LQS fabric would be cotton. I do look when I buy at the Fabric stores like JoAnns, Walmart, ect, but never thought to check bolts at the LQS!