Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you cut all your threads? >

Do you cut all your threads?

Do you cut all your threads?

Old 04-10-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by Lori S
I cut my threads .. I just hate working with an un-tidy block. I was raised in a family of sewers , when ever I made anything... they all flipped it to look at the back first , then the front. It was stressed that a good sewer's work was as clean and free of threads as the front. I just can't bring myself to not trim the threads.

Are you my long lost sister?
That was drilled into us too ... must trim and keep it tidy.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd you never re-did a seam (widened, straightened, etc.without taking out the previous stitches. And every time I don't do that now, I can hear my Mother chanting at me from beyond!! :)
Let me try my post a little more clearly this time (sigh...)

Are you BOTH my long lost sisters? I ditto it all - even the part about my mother haunting me from heaven!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:41 AM

Trim them off as I go.

Then before final pressing and quilting, I cover every inch of front and back, and trim off all the extra threads as well as any frayed edges.

As I do the final pressing, I watch and trim any that avoided me in the other passes!
I do exactly the same thing! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: ;-)
Old 04-10-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I cut my threads .. I just hate working with an un-tidy block. I was raised in a family of sewers , when ever I made anything... they all flipped it to look at the back first , then the front. It was stressed that a good sewer's work was as clean and free of threads as the front. I just can't bring myself to not trim the threads.

Are you my long lost sister?
That was drilled into us too ... must trim and keep it tidy.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd you never re-did a seam (widened, straightened, etc.without taking out the previous stitches. And every time I don't do that now, I can hear my Mother chanting at me from beyond!! :)
We must have had the same teacher. The back MUST look as good on the back as it does on the front.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:07 AM

Hmm, now I have something else to think about. LOL. I tend to chain sew, so I have pretty short strings usually. I snip threads when I notice them, but I don't make it an issue and I don't go looking for them. This is on the back of the top I am referring to. I worry more about cutting them too short and having them come unstitched with wear and washing.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:41 AM

I trim all of mine.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard
Hmm, now I have something else to think about. LOL. I tend to chain sew, so I have pretty short strings usually. I snip threads when I notice them, but I don't make it an issue and I don't go looking for them. This is on the back of the top I am referring to. I worry more about cutting them too short and having them come unstitched with wear and washing.
Thanks for saying what I meant!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Summer Spice
Clip-clip-clip-clip! Yes, don't leave any of these little boogers to catch when your not looking.

Summer Spice, I just love your sunshine sue. Is this cross-stitch? And is it a wall hanging?
Old 04-10-2011, 12:06 PM

When I started learning to sew in the 7th grade, our teacher taught us to always tie thread endings before cutting and this has stuck with me even when quilting. Everyone has to make their own choice. Seems like when I am sewing my pieces together that if I don't tie them off they start coming apart.
IdahoSandy
Old 04-10-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmouse
start sewing on a postage stamp of fabric, then on to the quilt block, and I join several & end up on a thread dog. 3-4 stitches between units & snip that.
Woof! ... Thanks for the new term ... I use Thread Dogs all the time!

Another idea .....
I read in a magazine one time how you sew two quilts at once. when you have pieces for the "other" quilt waiting, and you use them in place of thread dogs. I haven't done this, but always thought it'd be a great way to sew scrappy squares or boring patches, without making any effort. They'd add up and you wouldn't get bored!

arf! arf!

Never thought of doing this. Glad to have a new idea and also get another top finished quicker.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

I cut mine off! Would bug me just seeing the mess if I left them!!