Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think scrappy means? >

What do you think scrappy means?

What do you think scrappy means?

Old 04-10-2011, 11:24 AM

When I save my scraps from cutting out quilt squares, I sort them by color into plastic shoe boxes. Therefore, my scraps are never all mixed up. I do not consider a scrap quilt to contain new fabrics purchased just for that quilt. Scrap quilts would contain leftovers from other projects, and pieces perhaps given to you that others had leftover. Also, scraps are all peices too small to use making a full quilt block, I'd say smaller than 1/4th yard or maybe 1/8th of a yard. So the color is not important in a scrap quilt, as mine could be all pink if I use just my pink scrap box. It's the size of the piece and that it's not bought new for the project.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz
QuiltSage - a few weeks ago my cousin emailed me "you've got to see these";it was your post with several different quilts. I liked them so much I bookmarked the page and occasionally take another look because they make me smile. Love your avatar, very scrappy indeed, and my favorite from the earlier posting is Rouchsters, altho I loved them all.

Seeing your name above gave me a perfect opportunity to let you know you have two fans in NJ. Beautiful variety of work.
Thank you so much for letting me know. It delights me that my quilts gave someone joy.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:40 AM

years ago in a scrappy class br Mary Ellen Hopkins she had everyone bring scraps then we divided them up into 2 bags one dark and one light we took one out of each bag and used it if anyone tried to put theirs back and pick a different color she would blind fold them and they used what they got needless to say lots of fun and yes some very nice scrappy quilts
Old 04-10-2011, 12:26 PM

Scrappy quilt=(N) For an experienced, long term sewer it is using scraps from many projects.

Scrappy quilt=(N) For new sewers, is is an attempt to make a quilt in imitation (sincerest form of flattery) of an experienced quilter's quilt, made from actual scraps.

Scrappy quilt=(N) An attempt by an experienced quilter, who has, through disaster or catastrophe, lost her entire stash of scraps, and is trying to imitate her/himself from days past.

This is my definition of a scrappy quilt. Let the objections begin. :thumbup: :lol:
Old 04-10-2011, 12:35 PM

i make a lot of scrappys they are my favorite... but i have to admit that i check to make sure that i don't have any like colors touching.ie red touching red or blue touching blue..

and i think nothing sets off a scrappy like black...
Old 04-10-2011, 12:43 PM

I just checked out the larger picture of your avatar quilt and for crying out loud, lady, you are a genius!! That is one of the prettiest quilts I have seen, and it is a good thing you made it up as you went along (I cannot imagine that) because everyone would want your pattern. Bless you and your talent. May you live a long and prosperous life!
Old 04-10-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Scrappy to me mean lots of different fabrics used. It doesn't matter if the fabrics are new or leftover scraps.
I'd add to this that everything is not perfectly coordinated - there's always at least one zinger that doesn't "belong" but which "fits" the quilt anyway. Hmmm. THAT was clear as mud ...!
Old 04-10-2011, 01:26 PM

I agree. What is your avatar's name, gender and age. Looks like a cat I had named Tom (actually, Thomas O'Malley) and I just loved him. :-P
Old 04-10-2011, 02:18 PM

Hey Girl ;Scrappy is exactly that. Throw all your pieces from previous projects in a bag, pillow case or what ever and dig deep and sew till your hearts content.Some of my best projects were made from scraps.I've only been quilting for about 6 years and I amaze myself at how fast scraps accumulate.Have a great day ladies and happy scrapping.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by HummerGardenCrafts
I think scrappy is just that scaps! No fat quarters or large pieces. Throw the scaps in a container, reach in and grab one. It's suppose to be anything and everything. No color combination. Just whatever you grab is what you use.

It would be neat for everyone to bring a plastic tote or box full of scaps. Set the machines up, then keep passing the containers around and just reach in pick up a fabric and sew it on. That's scrappy to me.
that sounds like fun!