Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you cut all your threads? >

Do you cut all your threads?

Do you cut all your threads?

Old 04-10-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
MaryB .. oh now you've gotten onto another Mom-ism when it comes to crewel! And don't forget, you do not hop from one to the other on the back of that crewel. Must end off and start again, so there are no threads between.

arrggghhhhhhhhhh!!!! :)
QuiltE, I guess that is the very reason I DO NOT do cross stitch or any kind of hand embroidery.....lol I knit, crochet, sew and quilt, but no hand embroidery. I did one piece of stamped cross stitch and I said that would be the first and last item of that type of needlework. It is something that we all, who sew or do hand work of any kind, remember the do's and don't's taught by our mothers. I do hand quilting and make sure all the threads are cut also. Still working on the one in my avatar. Take care, Mary
Old 04-10-2011, 03:59 PM

What does everyone do about threads on the back when you machine quilt?
Old 04-10-2011, 04:06 PM

I cut them as a matter of habit. It was ingrained in me that the "wrong" side should look as good as the right side of any sewing. I think it got carried a bit far. The inside of my things is my business. Now if I could just sew that way.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:17 PM

I cut them. I've found they may get caught in another piece on down the line. This might cause the material to pull or get mishapen.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:41 PM

Well, I see part of my problem, or lack of problem, is that I am self-taught and learning as I go, so I have no voices in my head telling me things I should or shouldn't be doing. LOL Not even when I NEED them.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:43 PM

Of course its not necessary but when I was a kid in home ec, we were taught to tie an knot in the ends of a seam to make sure they didn't come undone, then trim. But, yes, trim. It needs to be tidy inside because sometimes you can see the threads through the fabric.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:01 PM

LOL, I'm teaching myself too! I am making a lap quilt with some peiced blocks and some "regular" blocks. The voice I hear in my head is....... "remove that thread or you'll be sorry later!"
Old 04-10-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by Lori S
I cut my threads .. I just hate working with an un-tidy block. I was raised in a family of sewers , when ever I made anything... they all flipped it to look at the back first , then the front. It was stressed that a good sewer's work was as clean and free of threads as the front. I just can't bring myself to not trim the threads.

Are you my long lost sister?
That was drilled into us too ... must trim and keep it tidy.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd you never re-did a seam (widened, straightened, etc.without taking out the previous stitches. And every time I don't do that now, I can hear my Mother chanting at me from beyond!! :)
I think I'm your long lost sister in El Paso. I re-did a seam with out taking out the previous stitches and then went back and redid both stitches - voices from the past made me do it!

Ruby the Quilter
Old 04-10-2011, 05:15 PM

I meant pieced blocks of course. lol
Old 04-10-2011, 05:30 PM

Yes indeed! It's part of my OCD!