Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you quilt on Sunday? >

Do you quilt on Sunday?

Do you quilt on Sunday?

Old 04-10-2011, 05:29 PM

Back in the day, sewing, knitting, etc was part of life in order to keep your family clothed. No chain store specials back then. So yes, this was looked at as "work". The stricter Christian churches frowned on working on Sundays, or making anyone else work. So, that's where the "don't sew (or knit, or ride bikes, or play cards, etc.....) on Sunday ethic came from.
Now that most of North America is not adhering to the "old" strict Christian work ethic, anything goes on a Sunday. Now that most stores are also open on Sundays, shopping on Sunday has become a norm.
I'm not THAT old (honest), but I still remember when nothing was open on Sunday, not even the gas stations. You had to remember to gas up on Saturday evening if you were traveling anywhere on Sunday.
Sometimes, in this hectic era, I wonder if we shouldn't go back to the "day of rest."
Just sayin'
Old 04-10-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Susie Quilter
Please let me know if everyone quilts on Sunday, or is that a day that you you take off from quilting. The reason that I ask is because my Mother-in-law always told me that I shouldn't sew or quilt on Sunday.
You know that is a matter of opinion, personally I only quilt on days that end in "day"! Now that's only me!

TreeFrog
Old 04-10-2011, 05:50 PM

Yes, I sew and quilt on Sunday, or whenever I feel like it. If you feel like sewing or quilting on Sunday, then don't let someone intimidate you into not doing what YOU want to do.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:51 PM

I quilt every day and since I work full time during the week, I get alot done on the weekends. If friends or family come over I do wait until the evening to quilt.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:05 PM

I quilt at every opportunity I have, regardless of what day of the week.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
My Grandma said, "every stitch you sew on Sunday you will take out with your nose in heaven". At least I'll have something to do when I get to heaven:)
That is what my mother said too. To her dying day she wouldn't do any handwork on Sunday. She said her grandfather taught that to her. Me, on the other hand, have other ideas. Quilting or sewing, or knitting, or whatever is relaxing, so Sunday is a day of "rest". If I did it for a living, I'd feel differently. But for now, get that thread goin'.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:27 PM

Well, I am going to give my opinion on this....for what it is worth. I told my DH today that God says we should rest on Sunday and so I was going to stop picking up sticks in the yard and go sit on the porch. LOL I do know that years ago sewing and quilting were not for pleasure...it was a necessity. Today, I work Monday-Friday. Generally on Sat. I spend the day cleaning house and doing laundry. Sunday morning is spent at church but I feel the rest of the day would be pretty much wasted if I just sat around and watched TV. I generally try to read, sew, do some decorating around the house...and during the spring, I like to do some things outside in the yard. Then during the summer, you will generally find me sitting in a rocker on our porch either reading or doing some hand-sewing. I say...do whatever you want!
Old 04-10-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by dolores
yes I do. I go to church on Sunday mornings and if I want I quilt.
Ditto
Old 04-10-2011, 06:38 PM

I do quilt on Sundays. But, I think your MIL, is going by the old days. When I was a kid, you didnt do any work on Sundays. It was a day of rest. I think it was the religious view.
But, like everything else, times have changed.
I got a lot of quilting/sewing done today..... :-)
Old 04-10-2011, 07:22 PM

It might have been an old-fashioned religious belief.