Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hanging a quilted wall hanging >

hanging a quilted wall hanging

hanging a quilted wall hanging

Old 03-27-2011, 10:10 AM

I am going to be using Maggiemay's way next time but for now, when I use a hanging sleeve I use the cheapest cafe curtain rod I can find. Thread rod thru sleeve and hang from rod brackets. The sleeve is 2" narrower on each side of the hanging so the rod will not show. Space brackets so they will be hidden by the quilt.
Robin in TX
Old 03-27-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by janeknapp
The magnetic quilt holders use the 3M product to attach to the wall which I doubt will do any damage to the wall.
Good to know. Although I haven't gotten most of those to stay stuck even though I prepped the surface like they said to. Opposite problem! lol.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:58 PM

I personally don't care if the hanger is invisible or not. I did this small wall hanging with a dowel and finials (from craft store) that I painted and sealed. Completed the project with a length of grosgrain ribbon. Sorry for the blury picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-176239.jpe
Views:	450
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	176245  
Old 04-10-2011, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
You can also make an "invisible" hanger by making the sleeve a bit short, and inserting a simple dowel just a bit short of the width. Hang it on two nails BEHIND the quilt. It sort of floats on the wall.
I did something similar, in that the sleeve is a little short; then bought one of those curtain rods for doors (the tiny little bracket keeps the curtain right up against the door), and mounted it on the back board of a shelf (see pic).

Name:	Attachment-182456.jpe
Views:	440
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	182462  
Old 04-10-2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by jdavis
You can also make an "invisible" hanger by making the sleeve a bit short, and inserting a simple dowel just a bit short of the width. Hang it on two nails BEHIND the quilt. It sort of floats on the wall.
I did something similar, in that the sleeve is a little short; then bought one of those curtain rods for doors (the tiny little bracket keeps the curtain right up against the door), and mounted it on the back board of a shelf (see pic).
Sorry, I'm not visualizing what the tiny bracket looks like. I would love to know more about this. Looks like a wonderful way to hang things such as wall hangings.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Angelmerritt
Originally Posted by jdavis
Sorry, I'm not visualizing what the tiny bracket looks like. I would love to know more about this. Looks like a wonderful way to hang things such as wall hangings.
Oh, I'm so sorry to leave you hanging on this topic! I've been falling behind on reading posts. Here's a pic of the bracket, attached to the back board of the shelf, with the rod on the bracket.

Name:	Attachment-192050.jpe
Views:	467
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	192056  
Old 04-04-2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Maggiemay View Post
This is how I hang mine. Too late for your hanging this time, but maybe next time! You can hang the dowel on a pushpin or small nail.
What a fabulous idea! Thank you!!!!
Old 04-04-2014, 06:32 PM

Carol, I only made one like this but you can put one side of the dowel in and tip the dowel and lift it up to slide in the other side. This is clear as mud but don't know how to explain.
Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts View Post
Maggiemay,

That's fantastic! But - I don't understand how you inserted the dowell. I can see putting the one end in one of the triangles, but how do you get the other end in the other side. The fabric won't stretch over it. What's the secret?
Old 04-05-2014, 04:49 AM

I use broken sewing machine needles to hang most quilts. If you threw all of yours out, keep the next dull one, use a pliers to break off the sharp tip, and use the heavier shank. Pound it into the wall to hang your quilt, and when you want to change your decor, no one but a fly will find that little hole in the wall. You can even fill the hole with a little white toothpaste. That's what renters do to light colored walls.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:05 AM

I love all these ideas and since I have one to hang I will be using one of them. Thanks for the many good ideas and pictures.