Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wow - fabric shrinkage. >

Wow - fabric shrinkage.

Wow - fabric shrinkage.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by rb.
Anyone who wore tight jeans in the 80s knows cotton shrinks a bit more after the first wash/dry. :). I'm a pre-washer.
Yeah, but back in the 80's my butt wasn't expanding in the opposite direction between each washing. ;-)
Had to laugh out loud; can relate. So true.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:03 AM

for FQ's and small pieces of fabric just soak them in a bowl
of hot water for 15 or so minutes and lay out and let them
dry, then iron them. yes it would be a BIG mess if you put them in a wash machine.....I can't bear to think of it!!!
That would really discourage my sewing experience.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:11 AM

Thank you!
Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by patmas57
OTOH, I've begun my quilting journey with a couple of kits (because of fear of color selection), and the instructions for those definitely say DO NOT PRE-WASH, as the fabric pieces are cut either specifically to size, or the amounts provided would not be sufficient if they shrank. So, I accept that I will have shrinkage, and fortunately I like that puckery look. However, since the fabrics in the top are not pre-washed, I feel that I shouldn't pre-wash the backing fabrics either. Or the batting. Does that sound right to you experienced quilters?
Yes! Don't prewash any of it.
:-) :-)
Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 AM

Thank you!
[quote=suern3]
Originally Posted by patmas57
OTOH, I've begun my quilting journey with a couple of kits (because of fear of color selection), and the instructions for those definitely say DO NOT PRE-WASH, as the fabric pieces are cut either specifically to size, or the amounts provided would not be sufficient if they shrank. So, I accept that I will have shrinkage, and fortunately I like that puckery look. However, since the fabrics in the top are not pre-washed, I feel that I shouldn't pre-wash the backing fabrics either. Or the batting. Does that sound right to you experienced quilters?[/quote
In my first quilting class at LQS, the instructor said that she did not pre-wash LQS fabric, but if you do prewash you should wash all of the fabric in the quilt. I think you are right to follow instructions with kit. You are treating all fabric the same.
:) :-)
Old 04-11-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by cabinfever
Originally Posted by katykwilt
prewash...to preserve the fabric. I have had older, unused fabrics discolor and have seen insect damage where they have feasted on the starchy sizing. When I use it I press and starch as needed.
Good points!! So now do I need to unearth years of stash & do a marathon washing session? Haven't ever seen any bugs in mine but who knows; mine are all in bins sorted by color or style (floral, novelty). My sewing room is in an outbuilding (insulated) with no food, etc., but I guess that may not help.
When I figured out the problem, I did just that -- however, I just put a few yards in like colors when I did the wash. I decided to fold it by holding onto the selvage on one side rather than salvage to selvage. It helped me figure out how crooked it was cut as well as know what I'd washed and hadn't. Mind you, some of the fabric had been purchased in MS as mill ends at $1/yd or less, directly at the old mills. We have lived all over the US, so what hadn't been used had been in all kinds of climates, etc.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 AM

hi now I am scared reading all of this about to wash or not I did not wash and the quilt fabric .I am doing is a king size and I have three blocks left to do and the top is done .shoud I wash just the top before quilting or let it be .should I spay it good with a water and iron it to take care of any shrinking .after this I well go wash ALL my fabric but this quilt is a gift to my daughter for finishing nursing school so time is running out to be done in may .I am new to making a big quilt so any one out thre have any thoughts to this thanks sue
Old 04-11-2011, 12:37 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by knittersue
hshoud I wash just the top before quilting or let it be .should I spay it good with a water and iron it to take care of any shrinking .
STEP AWAY FROM THE QUILT. PUT YOUR HANDS UP WHERE WE CAN SEE THEM.

Do not, under any circumstances, wash a quilt top before it's quilted.
'Cause if you saw the result when you took it out of the machine, your daughter would have to revive you.

And a king sized one at that?
Oy.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by knittersue
hi now I am scared reading all of this about to wash or not I did not wash and the quilt fabric .I am doing is a king size and I have three blocks left to do and the top is done .shoud I wash just the top before quilting or let it be .should I spay it good with a water and iron it to take care of any shrinking .after this I well go wash ALL my fabric but this quilt is a gift to my daughter for finishing nursing school so time is running out to be done in may .I am new to making a big quilt so any one out thre have any thoughts to this thanks sue
If you've already pieced so much, don't do a think until you've quilted it. A heavily quilted piece will also help to prevent wonkyness and excessive shrinkage.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:10 PM

I always wash before gifting...just in case there are any surprises from washing.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:49 PM

haha to funny I well not wash that quilt top thanks sue