Who likes to garden

Old 04-11-2011, 10:18 PM

I love to when my back ain't bothering me. I have a strawberry patch and i make jam from it.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Barbshobbies
If you are asking Barbshobbies to share recipes I wouldn`t mind.
Barbshobbies how do you can vegetable soup? I would appreciate any recipes I can get for canning anything from the garden. If the lord is willing I am going to have vegetables out the woozoo. I started learning to can a few things last year, but still don't know much about it. I tried canning poke salad last year, but had several jars to sour so this year I am going to freeze it.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by gunny148
Got a garden out back and i always over plant. so i call my sister and we can what we can and give to neighbors.i already have asperigus its in the 4th year and i put 15 new plants last year.
This is my first year to plant asparagas. I only put out three plants. That was all I could find. Do they multiply?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:18 AM

Yes they do multiply, 3 plants , depends how many in your family.I would get 6 more, it`s wonderful as gifts to friends that do you favors. You can not eat from new plants for 3 yrs. Because they need to grow a good root system. Once you have them going, they will provide food forever.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:30 AM

I do not can the whole soup, I can the veggies, 1cup celery,1cup onions, 1 cup tomatoes. Now for my family, I can mix 20cups of each veggie, and I use pint jars and hot water bath according to the canning book, I believe boiling 35 mins. You add this to your base meat, and maybe add broth, thats the soup and you can add any flavoring your family likes. Some times I drain the veggies and just use the veggies to pour over a roast, or mix in hambergers or meat loaf.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:44 AM

Also you might want to try FREEZER PICKLES. These you can make in small amounts and have fresh cucumber salad all winter. I make a pint or two, as the pickles are ready in the garden. This calls for a lot more, but I cut it down. 8 pounds of pickles, 1 cup thinly sliced onions, 3 tablespoons salt, 4 cups vinegar, 1 teaspoon celery seed,1 teaspoon gound turmeric, 1 teaspoon musterd seed, 1/2 teaspoon alum, in large container, combine cucumbers,salt & onions mix well. Let stand for 3 hrs. stirring occasionly. Drain and rinse. I a bowl , combine remaining ingriedents let stand 2-3 hrs, stir often THEN por over cucumbers & mix well. pack in feezer containers, leaving room at the top. 1 inch. Freeze up to 6 weeks. I had mine frozen or one winter and they were just as good.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:38 AM

Thanks to everyone for the great replies. I will certainly try the recipes and will plant more asparagus if I can find more plants.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by OneMoreQuilt
Love to garden!! Also prefer my own tomato sauce, tomato juice, salsa, spaghetti sauce, chili sauce, apple sauce, pear sauce and jelly over store bought. Now if I could only find a way to grow more time to get everything done!!!
How do you can your tomatoe sauce and spaghetti sauce?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Barbshobbies
I have had a large garden all my married life. My DH made me promise I will quit when I`m 75 yrs old. So I only have 3 yrs left. I can every thing I can, freeze cabbage for soup base, broccaly for myself & son-in-law. I can mixed veggies for soup, and have a large orchard so I can peaches, apples, pears,mulberries,charries, black berries, & boyson berries. Then in fall we dry walnuts, for bakeing & eating. I have nearly every veg. in my garden. Can`t wait to start.
Don't quit when you're 75. Keep going as long as you can if that is what you really like to do.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:10 PM

I can't agree more, don't even think about giving up all that fresh food at this stage in your life, unless of course there are other reasons such as a) you don't really enjoy doing it anymore or b) health wise it is difficult to maintain.

Maybe1day