Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Afghan women are coming to quilt! >

Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Old 04-09-2011, 04:15 PM

I taught a small group in Ecuador how to make a small quilt. I did not speak their language either but found that hand signals and demonstrations go a long way. Enjoy you opportunity with these Afghan women.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Power Poster

You will teach them and I'm sure they will teach you! Please share what you learn with us...and show us their projects! Thanks!
Old 04-09-2011, 09:34 PM

What a great place to start building bridges. I travelled through Afghanistan in the late 70s - Kabul was so cultured and beautiful then.
I haven't read all the posts, but Greg Mortensens books are a good place to start, and the bibliography in the back of his second book has some great resources. I am happy to send you a copy of either of these books, or you can buy them for an e - reader.
A useful website: http://www.ikat.org/

Cheers - if you need supplies, let us know.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:40 PM

What a great adventure you are embarking on. Bless you for doing that.

I think you should start off your class with a comfortable environment and a small project would be "hexagons", something small, they can take with them, and bring back to their next visit with you. You could show them samples, books, pictures as well as teach them about some of the quilting tools, along with assembling a small project like potholders or something of that nature. Of course they could work in pairs, or as a group and make something a little larger ie., table runners, once they were comfortable with the environment, could progress to something larger, baby/children quilts. Having experienced you are a friendly, encouraging group, perhaps they will eagerly want to return. I trust this will go well for you and I applaud you for taking the time to share with the Afghan people.

Look forward to some of your experiences and pictures for same. Best of luck with this endeavour.

Please do not hesitate to PM me if I can be of any assistance with supplies, etc.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by d.rickman
What a great adventure you are embarking on. Bless you for doing that.

I think you should start off your class with a comfortable environment and a small project would be "hexagons", something small, they can take with them, and bring back to their next visit with you. You could show them samples, books, pictures as well as teach them about some of the quilting tools, along with assembling a small project like potholders or something of that nature. Of course they could work in pairs, or as a group and make something a little larger ie., table runners, once they were comfortable with the environment, could progress to something larger, baby/children quilts. Having experienced you are a friendly, encouraging group, perhaps they will eagerly want to return. I trust this will go well for you and I applaud you for taking the time to share with the Afghan people.

Look forward to some of your experiences and pictures for same. Best of luck with this endeavour.

Please do not hesitate to PM me if I can be of any assistance with supplies, etc.
Me too. I have lots of fabrics and threads etc......I would love to help in any way you need.
Robert
Old 04-11-2011, 02:22 PM

That's wonderful!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:02 PM

UPDATE: Sunday apparently started Afghanistan's mini-monsoon time because we got rained out. The majority of the populations do not own cars so they have to walk to where they want to go so no meet and greets took place. We are on again for this Sunday morning so....weather permitting...wish us luck!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:56 AM
KLO

Good luck and God bless! Hope the meet and greet gets to happen this time.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:15 AM

Good Luck with your wonderful project and also the weather. May in Jersey
Old 04-12-2011, 04:22 AM

your box is in the mail have fun I did send some plain stuff will send more later take care